• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Longest chile competition

We'll have to go by the regular string type measurement. I can find exact rules from previous competitions, or we can just try to all be fair and judge each others pics fairly. Curly peppers are tough to measure, but as long as the string measurement looks fair to us in a pic beside a ruler, and stems should not be measured.

Time to start my annuums soon.
I already have 2 Whippet's tail plants doing quite well and I hope to start a couple BigJims(heritage) and a whole lot of my Whippet's tail crosses.
Bring on Spring!

started a couple flats of joe's long (whippet's tail) over the weekend. big jims will be part of next weekend's trays.

Started a couple of Big Jim's today. I also have one overwintering. Do those count, or does it have to be from seed started this year?

That counts. As long as the pod is grown this year. (Though you will have an asterisk next to your name in the history books). :)

Here's some more inspiration for us. Again this isn't an entry because I didn't grow it. This Italian Long Hot we got today measured 10 7/8" or 27 1/2cm with the string method (actually twist tie).

The green leaf twist tie below the ruler was used to measure the curves.
IMAG0043.jpg

Pexpeppers has some huge hands :)
IMAG0044.jpg

Thanks to Patrick, I have Joe's Long aka 'Whippet's Tail' seeds. Sowed two of them within minutes of opening the envelope, LOL!

It will probably be August before I have anything to harvest, but I'm in!!!

I don't think I have room anymore for BigJims this year and I'm only growing 1 or 2 whippet's tails since the only good use I've found for them is ristras.

I just recieved - and started the germination process - for my Joe's Long (Whippets Tail)... would be interesting to have two categories - largest by length, and by weight.

Thanks Patrick for the seeds!

Nice Ken!

One of my Big Jim's has sprouted. Still waiting on the Joe's Long, but they were sown several days later, so I'm not worried ... yet.

Back