• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shopping Look what I found in the grocery store!

I can hardly believe it!

bishop's crown by bearsbearsbears, on Flickr

Bishop's Crown! First time I've seen it at this market. It's an international market that regularly sells green & red jalapenos, green serrano, green & red thai, red/green/orange habs, yellow-orange manzano, korean long hot, finger hot, poblano, cubanelle, red/orange/yellow/green bell, and pasilla bajio.

But they're all green. Are they normally used green in South American cooking?
I tried one, and it's not hot at all, like zero heat even on the seeds. Do they get hotter as they ripen?

Gonna try to ripen one and save seeds. Yay!

Lucky! We in Washington only have Jalapenos, Habaneros, and Serranos. No variety here! Oh well, I grow my own anyways lol

Thats pretty cool. You should see if they can get some ripe (red) ones for you. The green ones are pretty bland, but the red ones are a very nice pepper to munch on when gardening. I overwintered one plant. They are a nice addition with the strings of hats/bells all lined up.

They are a good pepper for stuffing with cheese, etc. Cut off the top and it's easy to get the seeds out. Due to the shape, the pods sit well on a cookie sheet for cooking and then on a plate for serving.

Does anyone know if these are any different from Chapeau de Frade or Uba Tuba? I grew both of them last year and couldn't detect a difference.

Tom

They are a good pepper for stuffing with cheese, etc. Cut off the top and it's easy to get the seeds out. Due to the shape, the pods sit well on a cookie sheet for cooking and then on a plate for serving.
Tom

I'll have to search the cooking subforum for some stuffed pepper recipes!

kentishman said:
I grew it again this year. Will try to post a pic.

6a958a0c74c6bb8111681c1443d6899d.jpg

kentishman said:
Fantastic!
In 2014, I bought a plant labeled as "Mushroom Pepper" at the nursery. I also bought another labeled as "Scotch Bonnet".
The bonnet turned out to be a Jamaican Mushroom Pepper and the other was a Bishop's Crown. Everybody loved them! I have grown them every year since.
And yes, these also have zero heat. CMJ grew them alongside THSC's Crown and he noticed a difference.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/69601-free-bishops-crown-seeds/?p=1580504

One heck of I grocery find, OP.
Very nice looking pods, Kentishman!

Back