• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Looking Ahead to Next Year

Hello everyone!

After having a fairly successful first year of growing peppers, I have grown some interest in expanding my pepper horizons. This year I grew:
Bell
Sweet Banana
Jalapeno M
Long Cayenne
Orange Habanero
Purira

I was interested in getting some different varieties of seeds for the growing season next year. Since I do not necessarily know what all the different peppers taste like, I wanted to get some input from you experts! I would like to get maybe 4-6 varieties that broadly cover the pepper spectrum (flavor and heat). What types of peppers would you all suggest I look into getting??

Heres my put for 7 varieties that would cover the complete spectrum starting with Jalapeno as the least...as you know, there are tons of peppers in between and each has their own likes/dislikes...it was hard for me to leave Fatalii off...

Jalapeno
Serrano
Super Chili
Tepin/Pequin
Scotch Bonnet (chinense)
Chocolate Habanero
Bhut Jolokia or 7 Pot

Why did you leave the Fatalii off AJ? I'm going to try and get these going this year to see how they are. Any specific strain/color you'd recommend?

it was either the chocolate hab or Fatalii to fit into that heat spot on the list and I like the Chocolate hab a little better...

I like the paprika, but I'll have enough peppers from just one plant that I'll have all the spice I need for a decade!

Mike

Ok, I just checked my pots and noticed two Fatalii's sprouting :). I'm still waiting on the large chocolate habs.

Anyways before I completely hijack your thread inolan, I'd have to throw my hat into the serrano ring as well. I can't really help you much other than that because I'm in my first growing season as well and haven't tried too many different varieties.

AlabamaJack said:
Heres my put for 7 varieties that would cover the complete spectrum starting with Jalapeno as the least...as you know, there are tons of peppers in between and each has their own likes/dislikes...it was hard for me to leave Fatalii off...

Jalapeno
Serrano
Super Chili
Tepin/Pequin
Scotch Bonnet (chinense)
Chocolate Habanero
Bhut Jolokia or 7 Pot

A very good list and I agree with AJ. However, a must have for me is Hungarian Hot Wax Pepper because I just love stuffing them.

Thanks for the info.

Are there any different types of those specific kinds of pepper that would be easiest / most beneficial to grow? Do different colors necessarily mean different flavor?

different types of seeds comments...

there are many many different varieties of the ones I listed above...what I would recommend is finding the variety that grows best for you in your climate/environment...I have been growing for about 10 years and choosing the best type for me here in north Texas...

Someone else from Indiana may chime in and say which ones grow best for them...

My favorite C. Chinense type pepper is the Caribbean Red Habanero (I sound like a broken record), and not because it's blazing hot... It has a very VERY great flavor and aroma, it's a gorgeous plant in in and of itself, ohh and it produces a TON!

Sdc10553_small.jpg

Good luck on year #2!

Half the fun of growing is the suspense of waitng to taste something new. I haven't tried very many varieties myself but plan on growing something new every year. This year I have seeds for 17 varieties, some purchased just because they sound good, and I have no way of knowing what they taste like. Whatever I don't like will never be grown again and the ones I do will be kept until something better comes along. You've been a member since March so just think about whatever tickled your fancy on here and get your hands on some seeds. Even if you only end up with 3 keepers, the next season you'll have 6 and so on. Enjoy the journey.

Serrano and Caribbean Reds should definitely be added to your list.

Only 4-6 varieties ha ha ha ha, it won't be long and you'll be growing like 40 different varieties.

Some others that people rave about taste are

Fatalii
Chocolate Hab
Harolds St Barts
Burkina

I know it is going to be hard to limit my self to 4-6 new types of peppers, but I need to so I don't get overwhelmed! Plus my space is limited also. I'll keep doing some research and see if I can narrow down the options!!!

:banghead:

For sweet peppers I had good production and taste from my giant aconcaguas and red lamuyos
For mild to mediums I really enjoy the Mexican peppers such as chilaca, catarina, cascabel, poblano(red and brown), jalapeno, serrano, Anaheims, Guajillo, Chimayo etc.
For hot to ridiculously hot types I really like yellow chinenses including: Scotch bonnet TFM, Bonda ma jacques, Burkina, big sun, fatalii, yellow 7 pot/pod, and my Kapowie yellow.

I love both red and yellow Chinenses. that commercial "Caribbean Red" Richard talked about ain't half bad. Fatalii, Datil, SB TFM and some Bhuts IMO.

I am thinking somewhere along these lines:

• Biker Billy Hybrid
  • Serrano Purple
  • Super Chili Hybrid
  • Lemon Drop
  • Yellow Scotch Bonnet
  • Chocolate Habanero
  • Caribbean Red Habanero
  • Yellow 7 Pot

This list will probably change before February, but its a start haha.

inolan22 said:
I am thinking somewhere along these lines:

• Biker Billy
  • Serrano
  • African Birdseye
  • Lemon Drop
  • Scotch Bonnet TFM
  • Fatalii
  • Datil
  • Chocolate Habanero
  • Caribbean Red Habanero
  • Yellow 7 Pot
  • Bhut Jolokia
  • Rocoto

This list will probably change before February, but its a start haha.
FTFY

Some great lists here but I haven't seen any suggestions for Thai Chilies, although Super Chili is pretty close. Thai Chilies are easy to grow, very hot and versatile. Another great super-hot to add is the Trinidad Scorpion which I prefer over the 7 pot.

wordwiz said:
I like the paprika, but I'll have enough peppers from just one plant that I'll have all the spice I need for a decade!

Mike

That would have to be one HELL of a plant!!!!!

The pig parts I smoked last weekend used up about 2 cups of paprika. That is about 2 plants worth for me.

inolan22 said:
Thanks for the info.

Are there any different types of those specific kinds of pepper that would be easiest / most beneficial to grow? Do different colors necessarily mean different flavor?

7 POT - enough heat to last you all winter from plant.
AJI lemon - delicious medium heat
Big Sun Scotch Bonnet - MY FAVORITE C CHINENSE - good heat, great flavor.

ZanderSpice said:
Some great lists here but I haven't seen any suggestions for Thai Chilies, although Super Chili is pretty close. Thai Chilies are easy to grow, very hot and versatile. Another great super-hot to add is the Trinidad Scorpion which I prefer over the 7 pot.

Blasphemy......;)

Back