co-packer Looking for a co-packer, any recommendations?

I am in search of a co-packer. I will have tons of questions first and will not be ready to produce until feb. or march. I want to get the rest of my paperwork done first. Also would like to find one willing to ask me questions about thingsw I am to new in this business to think about. I've been searching the internet but the companies I find consider a small run around 300 gallons! :) (Something like that.) I wnat to test my product first and don't want to fill my livingroom with boxes.
Been reading lots of papers on how to pick one, one problem I see for me is the part about touring the facility (All agree this is very important, I see their point.) I live in the middle of nowhere, and I still have a day job. I don't have the the frequent flyer mile to cash in to take a bunch of trips all over and I don't have the vacation time either. I can handle two or so. Do co-packers have a problem in telling potential clients about their other clients so I can contact them and ask questions?

DevilDuck said:
Yeah...still doing the research. I haven't decided on a co-packer or renting a kitchen. If I rent a kitchen, I have 100% control and I am the last one to touch the sauce. If anything happens, it's on me. I won't have to make a phone call, try to return the product...blah, blah, blah.

But, with a co-packer...I can have time to do marketing and sales, have more time to take and fill orders...

Ugh, it's a toss up.

Your best bet is to keep shopping around. We got lucky and the co-packer we use is awesome. For them to make the sauce, FDA approved, bottled, labeled and shipped, it costs virtually the same as if we were making it ourselves. With both of us with 9 to 5 jobs, anything we can job out is a plus at this point.

I know when I started out looking into making my sauces I spoke to the county health department and they sent me to the Federal Department of Agriculture. So I have to follow what they tell me. For instance the kitchen I need to use has to be FDA approved, licensed for canning. I was not allowed to use a resturants kitchen. That would have been so much easier and cheaper. Even my dry rubs has to be produced by a licensed kitchen.

DevilDuck said:
Yeah...still doing the research. I haven't decided on a co-packer or renting a kitchen. If I rent a kitchen, I have 100% control and I am the last one to touch the sauce. If anything happens, it's on me. I won't have to make a phone call, try to return the product...blah, blah, blah.

But, with a co-packer...I can have time to do marketing and sales, have more time to take and fill orders...

Ugh, it's a toss up.

The co-paker that I have chosen to use is awesome. They require a minimum 100 gallon batch. They request that I am there when they make the sauces so I have the final word on it. They find me real good deals on my ingredients, they help me with labeling, and also help out with marketing (like the phone numbers and contact names to area buying agents), they also do the product testing for me...ie. Nutritional values, ph levels, shelf life and if I want them to have the SHU checked they will do that as well for an extra charge. If you decide you want to make a new type of sauce they will help you develop the new recipe. They really are full service. When my sauce is complete (cooked, bottled, labeled) it costs me $2.17 per bottle to produce. On top of that price I still have to buy my bar code yet. You also have to figure in what your insurance costs you per bottle so you can add that cost in as well. It took me almost a year to find my co-paker (i talk with a couple of differemt ones). So if you shop around you will find one that suits your needs. Try to find one that is full service as possible.

You may want tot give the FDA a call and ask them if they can suggest a co-paker in your area. I know they have a list with phone numbers cuz that's how I found a couple I spoke to.

Back