• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

looking for a nitrogen booster, but...

Ash is fairly alkaline, you can use it to correct soil pH, or to easily wreck soil pH. Also a good source of calcium (depending on what burned) and potassium but the pH is too high to use as a regular source of these in most situations.

Is there any possible benefits of adding the leftover soot from a burn pile to the soil?
i believe that would raise the ph of the soil, so i would test the soil first before using that. unless the soil is acidic and you want to raise the ph you won't want to add any ashes or soot.

Wood ash is about 0-1.5-7 NPK. It will also raise your pH. This is great on a one-time basis if you need to amend your soil. If you have a lot of other things that continually lower pH (oak leaves, pine needles, acid rain) you could use it more frequently.

Blood meal is a nice N fert, but unless you mix it in to the soil well, you will get critters digging little holes all over your garden. Bone meal is good for peppers too since it gives a big dose of Phosphorous and some slow release Calcium, same problem as blood meal with the critters.

Worm poo is a great fert all around. Almost impossible to burn your plants with it and it has all kinds of micronutrients and beneficial microbes as well.

Well composted chicken manure is one of the best sources of nitrogen available.
It's the seeds they eat. Good stuff!

I have heard that using the straw bedding from the coops, and composting it is very good.

There are some good bacteria that are anaerobic as well. I read it somewhere recently.

True, but It is safer to avoid it. chances are you will end up with a bacterial infection that eats your leaves. I have learned this the hard way.
Hell, for that matter there are Aerobic bacteria that are bad as well...

Think of it as a rule of thumb, Ana bad Aero good. there are exceptions to the rule like anything else, but I put my money on probability.
Also I think the soil is a little more forgiving than the leaves, that's why I like to use the top 8" of Tea as a foliar and the bottom as a soil drench.
I have crappy air stones and I'm sure I have dead spots at the bottom. I can smell it some times when I dump out the goop at the bottom in to the compost bin.

Back