Looking for burr grinder

Anyone know where I could pick up a new or used burr grinder (large) for a relatively good price? i've been shopping around and just don't feel like dropping $1000 unless I really have to.

DEFCON Creator said:
Anyone know where I could pick up a new or used burr grinder (large) for a relatively good price? i've been shopping around and just don't feel like dropping $1000 unless I really have to.
Absolutely. Capresso Infinity for ~$100 on amazon. If you need larger let me know (I'm a huge coffee fan).

You should build a big granite stone grinder like they used in the old flour mills. That would be a cool addition to Defcon.

Nah, I think using an angle grinder might make a bit of a mess, LOL!

The two grinders are interesting. I'm going to call them on Monday with some specific questions, thanks!

I paid $29.95, its not large, its a freakin' mess to use, produces a large amount of static that causes the fine ground coffee to spread all over the place and emptying the container is just as messy as the static is retained by the plastic holder container.

Locally, our walmart carries one brand of burr. I never looked in our home depot. We have a large national grocery chain that carries a model (the one I bought, they put their brand name on it so I am sure there are other clones like it out there).
The main bean holder has a connecter clip broken inside the unit, the ground holder's bottom is broken and its cap is split(I have tape keeping it closed - add in the static issue and that is my experience with a burr coffee grinder; I am not rough on items and treat everything I would with respect, so its just cheap.

Yeah, I'm looking for one that will be able to take a good amount of abuse (long running times). In searching around, I've looked at numerous used Bunn coffee grinders, but I'm afraid I'll never be able to completely get all of the coffee flavor out. Needless to say I HATE coffee.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to dig a little deeper in the cash pocket.

Hey John...a guy I know uses a grain mill to grind his dried garlic. That may be an option for you as well.

Grain mill? You mean like two huge stones grinding in opposite directions? Hmmmm, sounds rustic, but I don't have a donkey to spin the wheels, LOL! But seriously, what kind of grain mill?

I just bought a retired mill in the south of Spain, I have the entire working parts available, designed for turning wheat into flour but I am sure it would grind anything. Capacity? several tons...
I have no idea how much it would cost to ship it over (lots?) but it's yours if you want it.

I just bought a retired mill in the south of Spain, I have the entire working parts available, designed for turning wheat into flour but I am sure it would grind anything. Capacity? several tons...
I have no idea how much it would cost to ship it over (lots?) but it's yours if you want it.
Thanks Lawrence, I appreciate the consideration. I think the shipping would cost more than a grinder. The several tons thing sounds a little large as well. I'm looking for something that could perhaps hold up to 50 pounds of dried peppers at a time.

Once again, thanks man.

any pics?

Not yet. We're still trying to decide whether to get a Meadows or a Lehman. After doing a number of comparisons, we are actually going with a stone mill as opposed to a burr grinder. The stone mill will allow us to grind the peppers to the same consistency as confectioners sugar, which allows us many more options with the use of peppers. In the models we're lookng at, we should be able to process about 75-100 pounds of 'pepper flour' per hour. The cost is substantial, but I think the cost-benefit ratio allows us to crack the wallet open a little wider.

Back