• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Looking for info about "Aji Panca"

Great thread! I've grown the chinense versions of Aji Panca and Aji Limo Rojo, and one of the baccatum versions of Aji Amarillo. The Andean chinenses all seem to be real distinctive, not only from one another but also especially different from the Caribbean types. There also seems to be more than one variety of Aji Amarillo within the baccatum types, one with the shorter, smoother pods shown above, and another with very long, more pleated pods. Except for Aji Limo Rojo, they all seem to struggle in the intense Louisiana summers. Even so, they are all worth the trouble!

I only took pics of a few Peru pods.
Never took any pics of the stuff I considered common side by side.
Here is a couple pics of pods from Peru that were given to me by a friend who lived in Peru and brings me pods and seeds whenever she goes home for a visit.

Peru Baseball and Aji Amarillo.Market pods.

IM003465.jpg

Just wondering, what on earth is that? Apple chilli perhaps (Manzano in Spanish)? I'm sure "baseball" is not its real name as no one down in Peru cares about that sport. Looks a bit more like a pubescens than anything else, although that would be pretty obvious once you crack into it.

David, it looks beautiful! i'm growing these for the first time this year, really looking forward since i've heard great things about the taste :)

Wow awesome! I hope you get lots of ripe pods soon! They truly make the best paprika powder in my opinion....a bit more picante and aromatic than Hungarian, but with just as much or more flavor. They make a great paste too.

That's a very happy looking plant David, I'm jealous we don't get quite the sun or heat to grow things as well up here; I'm sure you'll get quite a crop with that little number.

Update on the Panca! Lots of them ripening, I think some of them are about as dark as they are going to get so I'll give it another day and start the picking.
P1030678_zpsc9bc429f.jpg

P1030709_zpsc2f9698a.jpg

P1030707_zpsf5b819e1.jpg

P1030704_zps301fb7da.jpg

P1030673_zps56503012.jpg

Wow, thanks for sharing! I have one overwintering in a greenhouse that I just harvested 2 ripe pods off, with only 4 remaining (but a bunch of flowers forming), I hope I can get a harvest like that someday! I planted some seed last week and they are already coming up. Last year using seed from commercial (from Peru) pods, they took more than 3 weeks, this time using fresh seed it took about 5-6 days.....Anyway happy harvesting!

Peru Baseball was the name a friend gave the Rocoto pods I got from Peru - they were the size of a Baseball.
Google Peru Baseball - They do play baseball in Peru.You'll find a pic of that pod too.
Those pods were brought back in a glass jar full of water labeled Pickled Peppers.
Can't bring in fresh/unprocessed fruits or veggies.
Water didn't hurt the seeds much,Water was as hot as the pods...
You can tell the pods did swell a little from their day in the jar.

Back