• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Looking for information on commercial canning of Peppers (Jalapenos etc)!

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
Yes but you've done this more than anyone I know of and you have all that knowledge & experience stored in that memory stick between your ears! Two things though........... #1 is his location:

And #2 is his description of "commercial" canning. I'm still trying to figure out the sizhe's talking about but I believe it's way beyond a household kitchen or any co-packer you're used to.   Knowing you as I do, I figure we'll be able to muddle through!

So now that I've buttered you up............. OP has a pH meter and I know pH is 3 something or other, correct?

As for #1, the only major thing is see is regulations difference. Otherwise I can source all the materials / equipment required for this project.

#2 Probably start with a few metric tons and then scale from there. I will not start with fancy equipment from the get go, however at the same time I do not want to skimp on any of the safety protocols. I can get a vacuum sealer machine, but that will only work for glass jars and not for tins or plastic jars. I'm basically going to be targeting two markets: Retail (home user) and Bulk (institutional packing for restaurants, hotels etc). I will probably go with glass jars for retail sale but am still undecided on how to proceed with bulk sale packaging. At the same time I'm even considering using plastic for all if it can be UV sterilized, because that will result in the crunchiest possible product.

Took me years to remember the scale is inverse!

ggrJ4BZ.jpg

The pH scale is an inverse logarithm and ranges from 0 to 14 . Anything below 7.0 (ranging from 0.0 to 6.9) is acidic, and anything above 7.0 (from 7.1 to 14.0) is alkaline.

The higher the acidity the lower the number.
Thank you for this. I did biomedical engineering in college so I am familiar with this :P 

Yea, the whole low pH=high Acid thing takes some getting used to.
:crazy:

Danyalsm- those are some pretty big goals/dreams.  A few metric tons is...as I'd put it... a $#it-ton of peppers!  Sounds like you may have some money to invest in the operation at the start up since we are talking about UV sterilization and such.  Usually we are talking with folks who are looking to get into the local farmers market using the bleach rinse for sanitizing. 

What is your vision for this product and business?
What is YOUR unique item?
How is YOUR product BETTER than what is in your local markets?
Why do you think making pickled peppers in your area (Pakistan) up against all the established pickled pepper manufacturers can be profitable?

You do not need to actually answer these questions here, I'm posting them for your consideration.   But since you are talking about fresh packing pickled peppers, that is way better right out of the gate than tinned peppers.

Maybe you have a family recipe that totally crushes anything available in your local stores.  That's the best place to start!
Most food businesses start with the Family/Grandma/Grandpa/HandedDownInSecret recipe. 

just some comments, hope it helps~

SL

salsalady said:
Yea, the whole low pH=high Acid thing takes some getting used to.
:crazy:

Danyalsm- those are some pretty big goals/dreams.  A few metric tons is...as I'd put it... a $#it-ton of peppers!  Sounds like you may have some money to invest in the operation at the start up since we are talking about UV sterilization and such.  Usually we are talking with folks who are looking to get into the local farmers market using the bleach rinse for sanitizing. 

What is your vision for this product and business?
What is YOUR unique item?
How is YOUR product BETTER than what is in your local markets?
Why do you think making pickled peppers in your area (Pakistan) up against all the established pickled pepper manufacturers can be profitable?

You do not need to actually answer these questions here, I'm posting them for your consideration.   But since you are talking about fresh packing pickled peppers, that is way better right out of the gate than tinned peppers.

Maybe you have a family recipe that totally crushes anything available in your local stores.  That's the best place to start!
Most food businesses start with the Family/Grandma/Grandpa/HandedDownInSecret recipe. 

just some comments, hope it helps~

SL

What is your vision for this product and business? To take major marketshare in Pakistan's domestic market for pickled Jalapenos. Market is pretty small, but depends 100% on imports, even though we are an agrarian country. Eventually export to foreign countries.
What is YOUR unique item? My unique items will be niche products that I get into down the road, however currently focus is pickled jalapenos which aren't unique.
How is YOUR product BETTER than what is in your local markets? Better pricing, local availability.
Why do you think making pickled peppers in your area (Pakistan) up against all the established pickled pepper manufacturers can be profitable? No one does jalapenos since they are a niche item.

"But since you are talking about fresh packing pickled peppers, that is way better right out of the gate than tinned peppers." I'm sure my fresh produce will be much better, but I am not sure how my product will be much different after it is canned right? I'm assuming all commercial canners pickle fresh peppers.

I have my own farm and seed company and my team has experience growing various kinds of vegetables including peppers.

So I did a little research because I didn't understand some of what you posted. In the below video. I now understand the process but not the "How" of vacuum sealing but it is clear how pasteurization is accomplished:

01:20-lid & vacuum sealed
01:28 pasteurization
01:50-shelf stable

After watching the video and your posting, "Probably start with a few metric tons and then scale from there. I will not start with fancy equipment from the get go", can you advise your procedural plans on processing 6600 pounds from whole Jals - to sliced - to jarred/brined - to prcessed?

This is how vacuum sealing is done:
I will get peppers handpicked from fields over a period of a few weeks. Will get cleaned manually in tubs maybe. Next step depends on what kind of packaging I select. If I go with glass jars, I'll get peppers cut and filled in jars by hand. Will have boiling brine/vinegar solution poured into jars individually and then put lids on. After putting lids on, I will put them in vacuum sealer. After vacuum sealing, I will get them processed in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

This boiling water bath will be a big metal tub (something like: https://cdn3.volusion.com/muo5c.jqbw3/v/vspfiles/photos/Patila-46-2.jpg?v-cache=1574355999)

I'll get metal trays made to hold the jars for easy dipping in boiling water bath.

After boiling, once they are cool, I'll get labels glued on jars manually.

All this will be done by farm labour.

daniyalsm said:
This is how vacuum sealing is done:
9f7cd2f1b35b2231451bf36dea730546_large.png

Never having seen, never mind used, one of these sealers, I noted it was used with two piece covers for canning jars and not the one piece, as above, for commercial jars...... The difference being the screw part is not tightened in the vacuum chamber and the loose sealing disc allows the air to be withdrawn from inside the jar and the screw cap tightened at the end of this process. With a one piece cap, if you leave it loose to pull a vacuum inside the jar, how can you tighten the cap without breaking the seal? Can the air be removed from the jar If you tighten the cap first? My gut tells me no because any tightening will impede the vacuum from withdrawing the air inside thew jar.

_

9f7cd2f1b35b2231451bf36dea730546_large.png

Never having seen, never mind used, one of these sealers, I noted it was used with two piece covers for canning jars and not the one piece, as above, for commercial jars...... The difference being the screw part is not tightened in the vacuum chamber and the loose sealing disc allows the air to be withdrawn from inside the jar and the screw cap tightened at the end of this process. With a one piece cap, if you leave it loose to pull a vacuum inside the jar, how can you tighten the cap without breaking the seal? Can the air be removed from the jar If you tighten the cap first? My gut tells me no because any tightening will impede the vacuum from withdrawing the air inside thew jar.

_

Although the video I shared uses mason jars with 2 part lids, I have seen these same machines successfully seal the 1 piece lids we see everywhere commercially. From my understanding you just place the lid on top and the vacuum machine's vacuum sucks the air out which causes the lid to twist and shut tight.

daniyalsm said:
 From my understanding you just place the lid on top and the vacuum machine's vacuum sucks the air out which causes the lid to twist and shut tight.

OK, " Will have boiling brine/vinegar solution poured into jars individually and then put lids on." Ratios please? Considering the quantity of peppers you have I'd do a test run and check brine with pH meter before filling jars and after vacuum/processing/rest. 

OK, " Will have boiling brine/vinegar solution poured into jars individually and then put lids on." Ratios please? Considering the quantity of peppers you have I'd do a test run and check brine with pH meter before filling jars and after vacuum/processing/rest. 
I have not researched too much on the ratios. What I have in mind is 1:1 vinegar to water, however that might change with more research.

Back