• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Looking for input on varieties for this season.

It's getting to be that time again, time to start my seeds soon. I've already assembled all the stuff I'll need, disinfected the lot, but now I'm having a serious brainfart.

I'm trying to decide what to plant!

Here's what I've got on hand:

Douglah
7 Pod Brain Strain
Orange Habs

What I absolutely must have:
Chocolate Habs
Bhut Jolokia

and that's where I enter brain fart territory.

What I want is something that's:
Not Yellow. I don't know if I'm ever going to grow another yellow pepper again. Something about the taste turns me off, and I want stuff I like.
Brown would be nice but not something of overwhelming importance.
Fruity. I know, fatalii, fruity, but it's yellow, so it's off the table.
Less than bhut level heat. I think I'll have the heat I want covered with the Bhut and the Brain Strain and the Douglah. I want something that will bring a ton of flavor as I plan to make another buttload of sauce next year.

I'm kinda leaning towards either a Red Savina or a Caribbean Red, something along those lines.
So, what do you think?

For my 2011 grow season i have included the same as you with the choc habs and choc bhuts.

The unique flavours i got to enjoy for 2010 was bulgarian carrot and bishop crown. the carrot, like its name(orange in colour) had a moderate heat level but a flavour that was new to me, enjoyable new. the same for the red bishop crown, moderate heat but a distinct taste that made me want to try another. caribbean red was also new for me in 2010 and my first taste said this is not one of those flavours for me, it was different from habs and scotch bonnet but something just that much different, i am growing them again this year, my 2 overwintered plants and 1 i started in my dwc.

I have 4 fatalii plants now, my 3, 2010 plants had flower drop so i didn't get to taste one but i have 1 in the dwc and hopefully that will produce for me in 2011.

I have lots of scotch bonnets growing now, along with superchili, dundicut and sannam. i just transplanted my hot lemon into soil to make room for the bhuts,7's and scorps and the HL are 2 feet tall.

you have plently of varieties to chose from.

Even with the 40+ peppers I tested last year, I had hard time finding a red pepper that I really liked... they all seemed to taste the same. The first one that I thought was good was a Jamaican Red Scotch Bonnet. Mellow and not to fruity or overpowering. I am growing Avenir, Safi and a Martinique Red Scotch Bonnets next year hoping they will be as good or better. Caribbean Reds were ok as well. A little too habby for me. The best thing about them was that they grew like weeds. They loved the heat and were one of only a handful of plants not to get stunted by the West Texas summer. No matter how bad I treated them, they just grew and grew. Then... I tried the Scorpions. Too hot for what you’re looking for based on what you wrote above ... but they had the flavor I was looking for.

Now I am dropping a lot of other things I thought I wanted to grow and am going to plant a bunch of different Scorpion varieties to further narrow my favorite. I agree with you on the yellow peppers. I had high hopes for them going into my testing, but find that something about them is not to my taste. Harold St. Barts and Fatalii were the only two yellows to make the cut of my favorites and I am skipping the Yellow Fatalii this year to try a nice red variety I received in a trade. I am also sold on Brown Peppers. Pretty much every one I tried I loved. Even the Douglah after a little extra ripening tasted great. So my season next year is Scorpions, Brown SuperHots, and a few other milder things for fresh salsa that look interesting and exciting to try. Good luck!

I grow Red Savinas every year...they are a robust bushy plant that survives my heat pretty good...Carribean Reds are the same IMO but I have been growing from Red Savina seed I have saved for 3 years so I don't have to buy any...

Don't overlook the Black Congos, to me they are just another chocolate hab that produces a lot of fruit...

Thanks for the input, everyone.

After reading and watching some Hippy vids, atm I'm leaning towards Red Savinas and (can't believe I didn't think of them originally, you guys rock) the Scotch Bonnet.

So,
Choccy habs
Orange Habs
Douglah
Brain Strain
Bhut
Scotch Bonnet
Red Savina.

No more ornamentals, no more yellow peppers, fewer varieties than last year but more of the ones I do have.
Last year was a total learning experience, this year I want to grow the peppers I want to use in serious sauces, and that looks like a pretty fair list.
Thanks again, now it's time to get to ordering seeds.

Prost!

Back