• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Looking for pepper substitute

We got a recipe that has some what I believe are not some common peppers.
I'm looking for "common" peppers to substitue like cayenne, banana peppers etc.
Here are the peppers the recipe calls for and what I would hope to hear opinions on common every day subsitutes.
Mesilla Pepper
Inferno Pepper

Thanks!

On a side note, I am not a new member. I've actually been on this site for years, I just had a long break and can not remember my old username hah!

Can't help more on this.... I think ultimately it depends on whether the peppers are used more heat, flavor or appearance.... either way, with all three uses, anything can be substituted as you see fit.... unless you're looking to keep as close to the original recipe as possible.
A quick google of the two shows mesilla is a hyrid cayenne type and inferno is a hotter banana pepper type....
I would assume you could substitute for banana and cayenne or anything similar to them....

rhm3769 said:
Can't help more on this.... I think ultimately it depends on whether the peppers are used more heat, flavor or appearance.... either way, with all three uses, anything can be substituted as you see fit.... unless you're looking to keep as close to the original recipe as possible.
A quick google of the two shows mesilla is a hyrid cayenne type and inferno is a hotter banana pepper type....
I would assume you could substitute for banana and cayenne or anything similar to them....
I was actually told before that those 2 are very good substitutes. I assume a hot banana pepper in this case and not the mild?

Thanks for helping confirm this!

Depends if you want the little extra heat.... I have no experience with banana peppers other than Subway when I don't feel like jalapenos....

Masiila is a Mexican chile that you will find dried most likly you can find it at most super markets and SPANISH STORES,they can be substituted with Pasilla or better yet Ancho(easier to find) these you will find only dried unless you or someone is growing them

Inferno is a Hungarian wax pepper type and you can substitute it with Anaheim chiles or other fresh large chiles of this kind these can usually be found dried or fresh ANAHEIM also go by the name CALIFORNIA chile

hope this helps

thanks your friend Joe

Back