Looking for some horseradish

I really want to grow some butt-kicking horseradish but am having trouble finding roots or plants. Nothing tastes better on thick, fried pork cube steak than really tangy HR. Is anyone raising these and might have some plants/roots that will grow that I can transplant? I will gladly pay shipping. PM me if you can.

Thanks,

Mike

wordwiz said:
I really want to grow some butt-kicking horseradish but am having trouble finding roots or plants. Nothing tastes better on thick, fried pork cube steak than really tangy HR. Is anyone raising these and might have some plants/roots that will grow that I can transplant? I will gladly pay shipping. PM me if you can.

Thanks,

Mike

Hiya mike found these here on U.K ebay...they would survive the trip to U.S If seller would send...

http://home-garden.shop.ebay.co.uk/...rksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em282?_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

Tx,

I emailed the seller - $10 per root is quite steep. But thanks for the link, maybe he/she will give me a good deal, especially since it seems to take two falls and a spring, or two springs and a fall, to have much to harvest.

Iggy,

I want to grow my own. As I PM'ed AJ, I'm hooked on this idea of starting a store: "Grow Your Own Way," where one can get everything they need to grow stuff from seeds to what they need to preserve it.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Tx,
I want to grow my own. As I PM'ed AJ, I'm hooked on this idea of starting a store: "Grow Your Own Way," where one can get everything they need to grow stuff from seeds to what they need to preserve it.

Mike

I think that is a great idea man, my dream is to open a hydroponic greenhouse year-round pick your own produce store. I guess I'll do that once I win the f'ing lottery.

Tx,

Not a bad idea except that stupid customers have to finger everything before they stick it in their cart. I was gonna do the Farmer's market thing this year and those with experience told me to not let shoppers pick their own - you would end up with about 50 percent spoilage. Alas, nothing grew fast enough this summer to allow selling so I don't know if the admonishment was true or not.

All I gotta do is to start buying a lottery ticket, which I haven't done in years.

Mike

Any good produce store will have horseradish root.
I usually pay about $4.99 / lb.
Once you make your own, you'll never buy the jar stuff.
Caution, when you're grinding this stuff up in your cuisinart, keep your face away from the mixing bown. I got knocked across the kitchen from the fumes~!:)

Caustic,

I like to grow my own! As far as grinding it goes, I usually get a wicked head cold about once a year, usually around Christmas, so I reckon that would be a great time to grind it.

Mike

My Pops has always had a good patch of it. I might be able to help you out. I'll check next weekend when I go home. He's been gone for a couple of years now and I don't know if it's been taken care of since.

You couldn't be in the house when he made it. He'd be sitting there just dealing with it. Eyes running and snot pouring out of his nose. Man we used to laugh when we were kids.

I started bringing a few roots home and making my own a couple of years before he passed. Absolutely nothing better than fresh horseradish on a slab of extra thick cut bacon. Man o man!!

Back