• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Looking for suggestions

I pulled what I'd picked 4 days ago from the fridge, combined it with today's harvest,
washed and sorted them and then realised I really didn't want to repeat what I'd done
in the past. Maybe it had something to do with the quantity of beer consumed, but I
bagged them all back up and returned them to the fridge and decided I'd ask for suggestions
on some new method of preservation or concoction.
So far this season I've pickled, sauced, smoked, dried, powdered, made puree concentrate
and salsa and wondered if there isn't a method I've missed?
I took a pic of the pods that need processing since that's much quicker than preping
them for now. ;)
If these 5 pounds/412 pods of peppers were yours, what would you do with them? I've decided
to put off whatever is decided until tomorrow and grab another beer or three while I await
your excellent advice. TIA

Nagas, Habs, Datils and Fataliis
DSCN1060.jpg

Silver_Surfer said:
If these 5 pounds/412 pods of peppers were yours, what would you do with them? I've decided
to put off whatever is decided until tomorrow and grab another beer or three while I await
your excellent advice. TIA

Nagas, Habs, Datils and Fataliis

Well....... I would pickle them, make sauce, smoke them, dry them, make powder,and make puree concentrate
and salsa:P

Nah, they look contaminated. Bag them up in ziplock bags and send them to me for proper disposal!:lol: Nah man, seems you have covered it all. I would make whatever you have the least of or whatever you like the best. Myself, I make powder whenever I'm not sure what to do since it will last the longest and really is the easiest.

seems like you've got all areas covered pretty well. it's gotta be nice to have 412 extra pods lying around for a rainy day!

how about a chili oil? those naga's would look pretty cool soaking in a glass oil bottle. or some kinda vinegarette or something.

buy 15-20 pnds of ground beef a mince peppers up and make pepper burgers!

freeze burgers n have tasty pepper burgers all winter long

Stuff them with cheese and shrimp (whatever-Pork/beef),wrap with bacon and freeze for "Balls O Fire" on the BBQ.

Stuff olives with bhut chunks for James Bonds Martini-Shaken ,not stired...

Make sausage.

http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/index.php

http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/...key/0?osCsid=50b41a9ab6bd4e8748e99626bfb5c7e5

Entertain yourself with one or two bhuts.

Chop some up and put in a baggie.
Take it to a resturaunt with a salad bar.
Dump them in with the wimpy yellow pickled peppers.

Buy a coke and kick back and watch people try to drink the salad dressing after tasting those red unknow pepper slices they see floating around with the yellow pickled ones.

Ballzworth said:
how about a chili oil? those naga's would look pretty cool soaking in a glass oil bottle. or some kinda vinegarette or something.

Sounds great, gotta get some more EVOO tomorrow.

Web_Of_Hair said:
buy 15-20 pnds of ground beef a mince peppers up and make pepper burgers!

freeze burgers n have tasty pepper burgers all winter long

Fantastic, I've got ground beef and venison in the freezer, just hope it refreezes well.

smokemaster said:
Stuff them with cheese and shrimp (whatever-Pork/beef),wrap with bacon and freeze for "Balls O Fire" on the BBQ.

Stuff olives with bhut chunks for James Bonds Martini-Shaken ,not stired...

Make sausage.

http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/index.php

http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/...key/0?osCsid=50b41a9ab6bd4e8748e99626bfb5c7e5

Entertain yourself with one or two bhuts.

Chop some up and put in a baggie.
Take it to a resturaunt with a salad bar.
Dump them in with the wimpy yellow pickled peppers.

Buy a coke and kick back and watch people try to drink the salad dressing after tasting those red unknow pepper slices they see floating around with the yellow pickled ones.

The sausage idea is more to my liking since I can process more peppers fairly quickly. Thanks for the links.
The restaurant salad bar spiking sounds entertaining but would probably get me banned for life. :rofl:

Thanks all, I knew you could help with some excellent ways to store peppers that I hadn't thought of yet. :)

You could freeze them for use later - they defrost a bit on the soft side but they're fine for cooking.

Try roasting some of them and then make a sauce or puree from whatever is left after munching.
I was also thinking that you could try a datil ristra, but you'd need a good dry area for that.
Have you spiced up any alcohols yet? What about different spicy pickles or pickled eggs?

Another thig you could do is make Psycho Juice! Well umm errr get a jucing machine and juice all your peppers and have a wonderful drink!

I actually did this but with Balck Hungarianss.... Took my breath away for a second or two...

Badger said:
You could freeze them for use later - they defrost a bit on the soft side but they're fine for cooking.

I haven't frozen any yet and may freeze a few of the leftovers just to see how well they keep. They would probably be great in chili, soup, etc. this winter.

POTAWIE said:
Try roasting some of them and then make a sauce or puree from whatever is left after munching.
I was also thinking that you could try a datil ristra, but you'd need a good dry area for that.
Have you spiced up any alcohols yet? What about different spicy pickles or pickled eggs?

A smoky puree concentraste definitely sounds like a winner and would make a fantastic recipe additive. It's still too humid here to try the Datil ristra, but some spicy vodka or rum would make some interesting daiquiris with some ice cold heat. I've pickled spicy okra and eggs already (my hen grenades), but they don't use up too many peppers, especially when using Nagas. ;)

Web_Of_Hair said:
Another thig you could do is make Psycho Juice! Well umm errr get a jucing machine and juice all your peppers and have a wonderful drink!

I actually did this but with Balck Hungarianss.... Took my breath away for a second or two...

I don't have a juicer; besides, I don't think Black Hungarians are on the heat level of any of these peppers and if juiced would probably lay me out for the count. :lol:

Thanks for all of the great suggestions guys; I really appreciate it!!!

Silver_Surfer said:
I don't have a juicer; besides, I don't think Black Hungarians are on the heat level of any of these peppers and if juiced would probably lay me out for the count. :lol:

Well when more of my Nagas are ripe I'll take a shot glass of the Naga juice... Might have to have 91 predialed on the phone for this one... Hell I may even record it.....

Back