• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Looking for Thai pepper input

Hello everyone, I am starting to map out slowly ideas for the upcoming grow season.

I have enjoyed Thai peppers in the past years but never grew them nor saved seeds or paid any attention to the variety that I eat.

Which leads me to ask if you could grow a Thai variety which would it be? I am looking for Heat and Flavor.

I know just about all Thai plants are prolific so not worried there.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grew the large orange Thai and the smash orange Thai last year. Didn't grow either again, but I got some volunteer large orange Thai plants popping up that have been producing ripe pods these past few weeks.

I think the small version was slightly tastier, but they are tiny and filled to capacity with like a zillion seeds, making them less fun to eat and a pain on the ass to work with. The large version was a better overall experience... But not as productive as the smash version.

Most other Thai Peppers I've eaten have been good but a lil forgettable,
just boring annuums for the most part. Which is only marginally less true of the orange versions. Just my opinion...

I grow Laos and Vietnam Thais. I got the Laos from an immigrant from there. Seem hotter than the other Thais.
Laos and Vietnam Thai.jpg
Laos on the right.

texas_pepper_man said:
I grow Laos and Vietnam Thais. I got the Laos from an immigrant from there. Seem hotter than the other Thais.
attachicon.gif
Laos and Vietnam Thai.jpg Laos on the right.

nice does that Laos grow upward or down? It looks like a nice size pod that’s for sure

Bicycle808 said:
I grew the large orange Thai and the smash orange Thai last year. Didn't grow either again, but I got some volunteer large orange Thai plants popping up that have been producing ripe pods these past few weeks.

I think the sneak version was slightly tastier, but they are tiny and filled to capacity with like a zillion seeds, making them less fun to eat and a pain on the ass to work with. The large version was a better overall experience... But not as productive as the smash version.

Most other Thai Peppers I've eaten have been good but a lil forgettable,
just boring annuums for the most part. Which is only marginally less true of the orange versions. Just my opinion...
. Yeah I think that was my major complaint too before was seed count was insane but I have been thinking about how I miss just snacking on them

I grow Black Thai. That's what the nursery had it labeled as. I don't have any photos to post at the moment because I am away from home, but the peppers are erect and the plant is bountiful. The peppers start dark green, turn black, and then mature to a bright red. Heat is great, not too many seeds, and great flavor in my opinion. My plant is probably about 4-5 feet tall. 

Need an "ornamental" for inside this winter. Something that will stay fairly small....Is that Thai Sun a good one to try? It reminds me of a Thai pepper plant i had many years ago. We let it grow on the kitchen table and used some occasionally. The tiny pods were flaming hot too. Pops wants one badly.

Thai Orange (both the large and the narrow ones that are hotter), Thai Red Hot, Prik Kee Noo, Thai Burapa, Prik Jaew, Thai Denchai 198 are all very good.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Need an "ornamental" for inside this winter. Something that will stay fairly small....Is that Thai Sun a good one to try? It reminds me of a Thai pepper plant i had many years ago. We let it grow on the kitchen table and used some occasionally. The tiny pods were flaming hot too. Pops wants one badly.
Thai Sun is very compact and may be managed easily indoors.

Datil

What seed vendor do you suggest. I want the smallest pods possible so it looks like a miniature Christmas tree. The pic you have posted is perfect for what pops wants.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
What seed vendor do you suggest. I want the smallest pods possible so it looks like a miniature Christmas tree. The pic you have posted is perfect for what pops wants.
There was a grow down a many years back where we grew the mouse turd, they are also awesome for small and indoors.

Thai prik kee noo chili pepper (literally "mouse droppings chili")

The plant we had grew pods just a little larger than long grain rice. They were super tiny and hotter than any Thai pepper i ever tried. Our market gets fresh Prik Kee Noo all the time. They are about 3-4 times as large when they have the really small ones. The really small ones they get are nearly as hot. They get one slightly larger that is quite a bit milder too but otherwise looks the same.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
The plant we had grew pods just a little larger than long grain rice. They were super tiny and hotter than any Thai pepper i ever tried. Our market gets fresh Prik Kee Noo all the time. They are about 3-4 times as large when they have the really small ones. The really small ones they get are nearly as hot. They get one slightly larger that is quite a bit milder too but otherwise looks the same.
The plant that you and Joyners refer to (very small pods) is the Prik Kee Noo Suan. The 'standard' Prik Kee Noo is usually larger but mind that's a generic name anyway. Maybe some THP folk can help you with seeds. I've grown them at the time but i was not thrilled by the micro sized pods and didn't saved seeds.

Datil

Back