• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Looking to grow for the first time!

So I'm very interested in trying to grow my own peppers, and I have a few questions on getting started.

I live in Georgia and will be growing outside.

So when would be the best growing time?

Any specific conditions needed?

My family has grown banana peppers, and thai chillies before - would it be treated the same? or is there special technique?

Just looking for basic help.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hi Neighbor, I can help with starting times! Alot of folks like to start their seeds early, inside, so that they have a nice start, but it isnt necessary.
In our zone you can directly sow your seeds outside as soon as April 5th,"Our mean freeze date" But I would wait until low temps are 50+..And if you have grown other peppers, it is the same for all of em! No chili is hard to grow! Peppers love Ga clay just keep em plenty wet.That will go against what most will tell ya, but they dont grow in red clay! If you do directly sow your seeds, Best tip I can give is "and my neighbors think I'm crazy" Is that when they are very small, You need to rinse em off quickly every time it rains! Tha friggin mud splashes up on em and WILL kill em. Good luck with it,and they pretty much grow themselves without our help :)
kevin

Back