LOOONG Time 'Lurker'- Finally Saying Hi!- From SC!

Hello everyone here at THP!

I first want to start with a very big THANK YOU to all the posters here who have shared their passion and expertise/experiences with everyone with the utter bewildering magnitude of topics covered here - a literal goldmine of invaluable information! Know also that aside from the regularly posting members (years past or current) , speaking as 'a lurker' you immensly help out tons of people. (every see the number of 'guests' viewing the forums?- it's crazy) So again, thank you!

So yeah, I'm a long time lurker...for at least 2-3 years, perhaps longer. Have been an 'all things plants/gardening' lover since I was knee-high to my grandma's knee planting iris's. In my teen's I was secretly planting guerrilla grows of heirloom tomatoes in various wooded areas (while others were secretly growing pot..haha!). Fast foward to today..

While always loving peppers- lived in both cajun country and Texas in my youth-, it was a severely/drastic change in health conditions that brought me to the hots/super hots for their remedial medicinal value in treating one of the symptoms I was (am) afflicted with. Keeping the topic short- was always extremely healthy/the peak of fitness- literally overnight I started to severely lose weight (weigh only 117lbs now!), my entire mental constitution flipped- severe mental difficulties- hard to think/remember/speak/ let alone type (this post will easily take me over an hour to write!) This all due to the most dramatic lowered loss of hormones my Dr. has ever seen (said levels were like a pre-pubescent girl..unheard of in his 20 yr. practice-thanks doc! Fullblooded raging male to now feeling like a rain beaten daisy.) There are soo many other side effects/symptoms I have (all bad/very bad) I lose count. It was the gastrointestinal issue that came out of nowhere that brings me to the peppers. They have been a great help in several areas, but one especially everyone here knows of-  the 'loosening/expulsive' qualities peppers can have..no more need be said! Lol!

So am now living back w/ my dad, trying/tried my hand at growing peppers on a balcony appartment- no more yard or guerrilla grows! This year was my first grow at peppers, and it was an absolute 'awesome..EPIC Failure'! (first real fail at anything I've ever grown- have two green thumbs usually) Total harvest came out to ONE..yes '1' single Reaper pod! I did however harvest many hundreds of dead blossoms. (I did get to eat some of the would-be-baby-pods under the pistils/stamen of the flowers..is that weird btw? Tasted pretty good actually!).  Learned many things in the process though! This site was a mainstay in helping along the way.

So....Up to now have made do with the grocery store hab's/penos (never even Scotch Bonetts, only orange habs) and cayenne for powder and the occasional hot/superhot from farm markets (very rare if ever - one guy told me in SC 'ghost peppers' are illegal- they will kill you, shred your stomach lining to pieces..I walked away with a smile) and whatever sauces I could find to 'medicate'.  This site opened up the panoramic beauty that is the pepper besides the same-ol' that everyone knows.

So that's my lurkerness- stayed in the backdrop and just read (fed upon) the forums due to it being quite difficult/time consuming to even compose anything to write (the above mentioned health problems..)- don't have really anything to contribute really anyway. (am using my dad's dinosaur..er.. computer only once a day, even on dial-up, yep..they still have that, etc..)

But again- love this site, and am most very thankful for finding it- even if it took over 2 years to finally say so! Much appreciated everyone. Pepper people are the best- this forum rocks..since I 'lurked' in.

Alchymystic (Joel)

Welcome from another grower in Upstate SC!

Joel, too bad you didn't get much of a harvest. Right now I've got ripe Reaper pods just sitting on the plants, going begging, and I'd be pleased to fix you up.

Tom

:welcome:  From Missouri Joel, lots of good people here, don't feel shy to except a few pods from the many pepper friends here,
I had the big C hit me, caught most of it in time and some almost too late. Anyways got it under control, I love making my own special Kimche lots of hot peppers, garlic and onions and Chinese cabbage all fermented together is very healthy and great tasting, does wonders for the digestive system and is very easy to make.
I grow lots of different pepper varieties in just 5 gallon buckets, which would work on a small porch. I'm sure that you will find ways to grow things that won't take up much space.

Hi and welcome! 
I really start to realise how much of a medicinal purpose hot peppers have! That's really interesting.

:welcome: Joel glad you signed up and joined the pepper madness from lowcountry South Carolina! A box with hot sauce and a bag of superhot peppers should be on your doorstep when you get home today.  Lots of very helpful and generous people here just take the time to get to know us.  Peppers are not a cure all but do help in many ways we have not discovered yet.  Then there is the endorphin rush... :onfire:

Back