• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Low morning temperatures

We've had hot and dry summer and chillies finally started growing in late July. As they are about one month later than usually, most of the pods are still green and will have hard time ripening. How do you protect the peppers in early fall, when low temperatures kick in. We have lows around 8C and highs around 18C. Mornings will be harsh for hot peppers and if they don't start rotting, they might start loosing their leaves.

I covered them with an old row cover, forming a tunnel. They have a bit (lot) less light, but since it's raining most of the time, it doesn't matter really. When sky clears out, temps will drop in the morning, so I'll keep them covered and open the thing every couple of days to check for any ripe pods. Hope for the best! :)

How do you fight autumn? Is it worth it?  :P

i  just let mother nature take its course , have plenty of heat stored by then . with the exception of a few choice container plants that i'll O.W. i'll keep them in the green house a few more weeks then inside .    :onfire:

I will dig out one hybrid of unknown ancesters that is painfully hot and has more and bigger pods than other plants. I only managed to pick one half-ripe pod with quite bitter aftertaste. I plan to get at least one fully ripe pod before I dig it out and take it inside for the winter. If it's bitter when ripe, I'll just toss it and preserve something that deserves saving. :)

Back