Lumpwood Charcoal or Charcoal Briquettes ?

Whats the pros and cons for both?

Got a big BBQ coming up and I usually use lumpwood. However I've been recommended to use the Briquettes.

Only thing with lumpwood is you get the small "shards" which don't really do much lol. Briquettes are all the same size more or less. The lumpwood sometimes has really big pieces which need breaking up.

I'll be using a chimney to light them up.

Hope to hear,

The Iron Tongue.

I've used both. With the lumpwood, you get a shower of sparks until the coals are ready...not good if you're grilling in a dry area where there are already fire bans. (like here in New Mexico)

I like the lump charcoal. If you use briquettes make sure there are no glues or binders or starter fluids and that they are 100% hardwood.

Briquettes will last longer and lump burns hotter. Sometimes I mix the two. Depends what you are cooking a long cook I would use briquettes using a "Minion Method" which is simply starting your coals in a chimney and forming a sort of pyramid in the cooker and pour the hot coals on top, you can get a good long sustained burn that way good for briskets, butts and ribs. I like lump for Ribs and steaks, fish and pork (loins or chops). If I use lump for any long periods I make sure I have at least 2 bags and soak the wood chunks real good.

I'll be cooking a wide variety of foods. Like I said it's gonna be a big bbq.

So far we have Ribs, Wings, Chicken thigh meat, Ittalion sausage, Lamb chops, diced lamb and a few other things.

It's not small portions of each either. We are looking at at least 4 racks of ribs about 40 wings.....

I think maybe briquettes will be better, as the bbq I am using is not that deep. So the hot lump wood maybe too hot for what we need.

Should have also mentioned, we won't be slow cooking. We don't tend to do that. Although we could try it (1st time for everything) as it will be a long day lol, it's gonna go on from mid day to late night. With cooking every hour or so.

Depending on the ribs, baby back or spares they will take the longest -- start em slow and smokey then bump up the heat move them to the upper rack and let your mop and gresy goodness dripp on everything else :yum

POTAWIE said:
Where's the party? Sounds like a great time. Airport nearby?:lol:

LOL, and get this. There will be less then 10 of us lol Our bbq's will become legendary.

I'm the only real hot sauce lover though :hell:

Depending on the ribs, baby back or spares they will take the longest -- start em slow and smokey then bump up the heat move them to the upper rack and let your mop and gresy goodness dripp on everything else :yum

They are baby back I think, with a ton of meat on each rib :lol: :mouthonfire: We'll give it a go. May as well try something new.

Decided to go for briquettes. Gonna pick up 20kgs tomorrow.

Pretty good site

The Iron Tongue said:
Whats the pros and cons for both?

Got a big BBQ coming up and I usually use lumpwood. However I've been recommended to use the Briquettes.

Only thing with lumpwood is you get the small "shards" which don't really do much lol. Briquettes are all the same size more or less. The lumpwood sometimes has really big pieces which need breaking up.

I'll be using a chimney to light them up.

Hope to hear,

The Iron Tongue.

Hey Iron Tongue,
After a ton of searching, I found this website (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm) which rates all different kinds of charcoal. Many of the brands are specific to certain areas of the US - I've only seen a couple on the list. But, it's a start!
-Fitzy

The Iron Tongue said:
LOL, and get this. There will be less then 10 of us lol Our bbq's will become legendary.

I'm the only real hot sauce lover though :mouthonfire:

They are baby back I think, with a ton of meat on each rib :mouthonfire: :mouthonfire: We'll give it a go. May as well try something new.

Decided to go for briquettes. Gonna pick up 20kgs tomorrow.

Cook them low and slow 225-250F for at least an hour then foil for an hour with some mop if you are using or apple juice unfoil and put back on the Q hour or so you can tell when they start to seperate add some sauce last 10 min and enjoy. There are plenty of rub recipes about on the web or you can even just do salt and pepper -- if you have more question let me know --- Boy do I love ribs :cool:

Fitzy31 said:
Hey Iron Tongue,
After a ton of searching, I found this website (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm) which rates all different kinds of charcoal. Many of the brands are specific to certain areas of the US - I've only seen a couple on the list. But, it's a start!
-Fitzy

Thanks for the info. However none of those is readily available over here. We've used BigK for as long as I remember. But have gone for some briqueetes for the first time ever.

Just went out and picked up some supermarked brand briquettes. They have a reputation to protect so I think they will be pretty good quality. If not they'll go back lol.

Can you use lumpwood charcoal with a chimney starter? Everywhere I've read says briquettes, never mentions lumpwood.

Cook them low and slow 225-250F for at least an hour then foil for an hour with some mop if you are using or apple juice unfoil and put back on the Q hour or so you can tell when they start to seperate add some sauce last 10 min and enjoy. There are plenty of rub recipes about on the web or you can even just do salt and pepper -- if you have more question let me know --- Boy do I love ribs
The only time I ever have ribs is when I visit the states. And then only from Tony Romas :mouthonfire: :mouthonfire: Always seem to go in time for the eat all you can baby back ribs :mouthonfire:

Will def try that though. No thermometre on my bbq though. I go by my eye :cool:

The Iron Tongue said:
Can you use lumpwood charcoal with a chimney starter? Everywhere I've read says briquettes, never mentions lumpwood.

No thermometre on my bbq though. I go by my eye :)

Sure you can use the chimney just be sure to have nice chunks nothing to big or small. Once you get them started just drop'em on top of a pile draft the dampers back and viola...

I didnt mean the ribs but if you get an oven thermometer you put it on the grill grate and keep you heat in check, Once you get it there dont peek until the first hour is done ...then mop and close .... You know spring is in the air when you smell the mesuite and hickory burn'en :)

This was debated in another thread as well. But it's a great topic to go to again seeing that we are at the beginning of the grilling season!!! I am very partial to lump charcoal. No additives, no binders or glue...(some of the binders and glues used to make briquetes has traces of arsnic in it) Just like the natual flavor from lump charcoal.

Dyce51 said:
This was debated in another thread as well. But it's a great topic to go to again seeing that we are at the beginning of the grilling season!!! I am very partial to lump charcoal. No additives, no binders or glue...(some of the binders and glues used to make briquetes has traces of arsnic in it) Just like the natual flavor from lump charcoal.

Well Kingsford charcoal is just that... burns hotter and longer because it has coal mixed into it. If you really want to get a nice flavor you start a fire barrel and shake the coals down and shovel them into the smoker. I like to use Lump or mix for long burns

LUCKYDOG said:
Well Kingsford charcoal is just that... burns hotter and longer because it has coal mixed into it. If you really want to get a nice flavor you start a fire barrel and shake the coals down and shovel them into the smoker. I like to use Lump or mix for long burns

When I fire up the smoker I use Lum Charcoal and add water soaked hardwood (like hickory or mesquite) to it to really get the smoker smokin...

Lump burns fast and hot since it can't be packed as tight. For me:

Lump: For grilling when you want a real hot fire and nice char. Steaks, burgers, dogs, kebabs, etc. Skirt steaks rock over lump.
Briquettes: All purpose; grilling or base for smoking.

Back