Made some Shawarma! :D

I love shoarma, that's what it's called here. But its the same, made from lamb meat, we eat it with some kind of garlic sauce and a pita.

Omri said:
So basically we all agree that no matter how it's called, it's damn tasty.

Yes, it is! In Germany we mostly get Döner and Gyros. Both are great! The only problem is the price competition. Some of the cheaper Döners are made of almost foul meat. You never know.

Armadillo said:
Yes, it is! In Germany we mostly get Döner and Gyros. Both are great! The only problem is the price competition. Some of the cheaper Döners are made of almost foul meat. You never know.
You see that a lot here as well, but they're ain't hiding it. people are proud of it for some weird reason. REAL DONER IS LAMB!

JayT said:
Very cool Omri. Do you use a certain sauce with it, or just as is?
Sorry Jay, I kinda skipped your post. I'll either eat it "as is" or inside a Lafa with Hummus, Tahini, Skhug, Eggplants salad, Amba and sometimes even chips (french fries).

Omri said:
Sorry Jay, I kinda skipped your post. I'll either eat it "as is" or inside a Lafa with Hummus, Tahini, Skhug, Eggplants salad, Amba and sometimes even chips (french fries).

Omri would you mind posting your recipe for Hummus? Ive made it a few times but it never came out quite as good as I've tasted in the past.

I know its a real simple recipe, I just don't think i'm getting the ratios quite right.

Txclosetgrower said:
Omri would you mind posting your recipe for Hummus? Ive made it a few times but it never came out quite as good as I've tasted in the past.

I know its a real simple recipe, I just don't think i'm getting the ratios quite right.
Wow, I don't really make my own Hummus, as you can just buy it anywhere here. I did ask for a recipe just for you:
Ingredients said:
2 cups small chickpeas
2/3 cup raw tahini
Juice of 2 small lemons
2 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp cumin
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
salt (as much as you like)
Preparation said:
1. clean the chickpeas. spread on a large plate, remove any damaged or unwanted chickpea. wash the chickpeas repeatedly until the water is clear.
2. let the chickpeas sit in 2-3 liters of water over night with 2 tsp baking soda. if the weather is a bit too hot, put it in the fridge or they'll go bad. in the morning wash them well and let them sit in water another hour or so (you don't want to swell to much).
3. wash the chickpeas until the water is clear, filter and put in the pot with fresh water.
4. cook the chickpeas until the water boils and then add the 1/2 tsp baking soda. this will shorten the cooking time to about one - one and a half hours. while you're cooking stir the chickpeas, remove the foam from the water's surface and with it the floating husks. while cooking remove the chickpeas, filter, wash in cold water and hand massage the chickpeas. now when you're back cooking them, more husks will float. remove them all.
5. when the chickpeas are easily crushed (really easy) between your fingers, they're done. you can remove any remaining husk from the chickpeas, but that's not mandatory if most of them floated and removed while cooking. filter and keep the cooking water.
6. put the chickpeas in a food processor while still hot for about 5 minutes. if the blend looks a bit too thick, add some of the cooking water. let the blend to cool off a little for a few minutes and add the raw tahini, salt and lemon juice. the finished blend you leave sitting so it thickens a bit. you then add the cumin and garlic.

Omri said:
Wow, I don't really make my own Hummus, as you can just buy it anywhere here. I did ask for a recipe just for you:

Just for me? I thought only RB got special treatment :lol: Thanks though man I love hummus. And I love that baking soda trick to cook them faster, never heard that before.

Now i just gotta track down some Tahini

Txclosetgrower said:
Just for me? I thought only RB got special treatment :lol: Thanks though man I love hummus. And I love that baking soda trick to cook them faster, never heard that before.

Now i just gotta track down some Tahini
If you can't find some raw Tahini, PM me... I'll send ya some. it's pretty good on its own... better than Hummus in my personal opinion.

Back