Maintaining dormancy....in the fridge?

I'm sure this sounds bizarre, but it just occurred to me that I might be able to overwinter plants in a bare-root or semi bare-root state in my kitchen refrigerator....it's relatively humid and stays consistently just above freezing where a chili should be totally dormant.  Assuming I can keep the roots from drying out, I'm thinking I should be able to keep a severely cut back plant alive all winter long in there.  

Anyone tried this, kicked around the idea, or have any good reasons why it wouldn't be worth at least a try?

It's the "just above freezing" part that gives me a tad of doubt, but it's only a tad. I know of at least one person who stacked all their OW's in an outdoor shed. Difference was that they kept the root ball intact and wrapped. I don't know if they ever watered them though. I'd say it's worth an experiment to find out, assuming you don't mind the possibility of losing a plant. If it works, though, should be an easy thing to repeat in future winters to keep maintenance as low as possible. 

EBHarvey said:
I'm sure this sounds bizarre, but it just occurred to me that I might be able to overwinter plants in a bare-root or semi bare-root state in my kitchen refrigerator....it's relatively humid and stays consistently just above freezing where a chili should be totally dormant.  Assuming I can keep the roots from drying out, I'm thinking I should be able to keep a severely cut back plant alive all winter long in there.  

Anyone tried this, kicked around the idea, or have any good reasons why it wouldn't be worth at least a try?

geeme said:
It's the "just above freezing" part that gives me a tad of doubt, but it's only a tad. I know of at least one person who stacked all their OW's in an outdoor shed. Difference was that they kept the root ball intact and wrapped. I don't know if they ever watered them though. I'd say it's worth an experiment to find out, assuming you don't mind the possibility of losing a plant. If it works, though, should be an easy thing to repeat in future winters to keep maintenance as low as possible. 

Are you confident that your fridge will not fluctuate into freezing?  Mine surprises me sometimes and turns stuff into slush.  That being said, I think that this may be a "cool" solution to many chileheads' common problem this time of year, "Which plants am I going to overwinter, and how do I choose between my babies?!"  I think you should attempt it and chronicle your progress for the benefit of all chileheadkind!

I am going to say that they will not make it. Ive noticed over the years that the plants I leave in the dark all the time only survive if there is foliage and damp but not wet roots. As soon as they are cut the ends start rotting down if there is zero light. They might make a week or three but not months... I would only waste some cheap plants trying.

Not sure how it would mess with their natural cycle, which is a bit cooler and drier, but not cold and/or dessicated.
Maybe make them think they are a new sprout and go crazy----and immortal?

I have 6 pots I brought in the other day, as it is supposed to freeze today or tomorrow, but not really "overwintering" them for a bit, as they are all in flower, so under lights.

Thanks for the responses.  I'm going to give it a try.  I've got 40+ plants and only room to properly overwinter about a dozen, so the rest I'll be experimenting with.  I'll let y'all know how/if it works.

The conversation with my wife would go something like this...

Me:  "Honey I need to use the refrigerator to overwinter my peppers"

Wife: Incredulous stare, followed by "Are you kidding me?!?"

I tried them in the freezing garage one year, no water though and the plants didn't make it.  Maybe if I would have watered them...

Back