• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Major Issues in Garden - Any Thoughts - See Pictures

Is the soil/fert mix too hot ??? They look like they have been either over fed or not hardened enough before being put outside. Just guesses but without knowing more they would be my first 2 picks

I hardened them off for two weeks Trippa.  They took full sun (85 deg days) for 2-3 days straight w/o any leaf issues.  This all occurred after being planted for 7+ days.  I'm thinking soil issues as you suspect.  I think I need a soil test fast.

Chris

We have had DRASTIC temperature changes the last couple of weeks..like low of 38 at night to high of 90 deg.  Really whacky temps. Every few days, the temp swings big. :(

Combine climate swings, ferts, hardening off = mystery issues + nutrient lock-out.

I would water sparingly, keep the leaves dry as you can, hold off on ferts for now. Most will bounce back.

I'm betting the climate was the big one, if we had steady temps your problems wouldn't have been as bad. 38f sustained for a few hours is just too cold.

You got to see the bewilderment going on in tomato forums right now. Everyone is starting similar threads, people in upstate NY planting out in late April and still not realizing what hit them. I'm glad i held off plant out...

Good luck either way Chris.

- Steve

I did not realize it hit a low of 38 deg y-day night too.  I think it's frost issues. I should've waited another 1-2 weeks based on the crazy temps.  Hopefully they'll bounce back. :) 

I've had plants down to literally stems recover before so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  

I can only imagine how shocked the tomato growers were about all this.  I have a feeling produce will be expensive this year. :(

Chris

Its everything combined. Esp. The temps swings! They should come around eventually. The plants esp when that small dont like big temp swings

Hey Chris, I have hardened my plants off 2 different times this month and tomorrow I will start for the third time. We have had 5 frosts this month,a couple times we were down to 32°. It has been very frustrating for me and I have been forced to bring plants back under lights.

I would have to say temps are to blame,but I agree with getting the soil checked also. Do you feed with soluble ferts/granular? I think I remember you using a large amount of sand a couple years back? Maybe things are out of whack. I bet most of those will bounce back. Good luck Chris!

Gee I was not expecting you to ask for advice. It has to be the weather. After all they are from warm places, with by and large not a lot of temp swings. You use the same soil and nutes, right? It does not look like a pathogen issue. I am sure they will be fine.

It never hurts to ask for advice.  Lots of smart people out here. :)  Yes, same soil was used.  I think the temp extremes shocked them.  Not surprising, but frustrating.

Chris

pepperproblem said:
Gee I was not expecting you to ask for advice. It has to be the weather. After all they are from warm places, with by and large not a lot of temp swings. You use the same soil and nutes, right? It does not look like a pathogen issue. I am sure they will be fine.

There is one other thing that looks like that. Herbicide damage. Spray drift from a neighbors yard maybe, or migrated through the soil from "weed and feed" type grass fertilizer or other soil-applied broad leaf weed killer.

Just another possibility to consider.

sunburn on some for sure... and frost also... they will start pitching new leaves in teh bottom.. watch out of the second wave of leaves! you will have nice pepper bush

Back