• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Making Coco Peat

Making Coco Peat

This Coconut Crab is hungry! Stay away from my peppers LOL.
Coconut%20Crab%20Eating.jpg

Well folks I just wanted to share my process of making Coco Peat from the large quantities of coconut husks here on the Island.

First you must have a dried Coconut Husk...

Coconut%20Husk.jpg

Then with your hands pull out the Coco Coir and shake out the Coco Peat.

Coconut%20Coir%20and%20Peat.jpg

Once you have the amount that you want, its time to sock the Coco Peat in a bucket with water to remove the salt.

Coco%20Peat%20Socking.jpg

After 24hrs or more I removed the Coco Peat unto a old window screen to dry and filter the good stuff.

Coco%20Peat%20Drying.jpg

Here is the finished product in my 512 trays. I have a bunch of seeds coming up on this one but I have two pics, you notice the Coco Peat is working concerning germination. I have one pic of some Trinidad Morouga Red from PepperLover.com, they gave them to me as a gift, I also have a of pic of JustaGuy Red Fatalli's from TheHotPepper.com that I purchased.

JustaGuy Red Fatalli's
Justaguy%20Red%20Fatallis.jpg

PepperLover.com Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Red Blend
Trinidad%20Scorpian%20Morouga%20Red.jpg

before I could buy it in stores I made my own just ran husks thru leaf shredder some two times worked good and used most of the husk.

May I ask you how much coconuts one would need to get the amount shown in the fifth picture?
I use coco a lot( both peat and coir) as it is aerated and also very friendly for the environment.

Best Regards,

Jan

Back