• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

"making fish head tea" how long is too long?

so i've read several posts about "compost tea" and one particular with fish (Pepper Guru's GLOG).

I am an avid fisherman and frequently have fish heads from cleaning a mess of crappies, so making this kind of tea would benefit me 2 fold (dispose of fish carcass and make free organic fertz). i recently stumbled across a 5 gal bucket hidden in our woods half full of fish heads and water, supposedly disposed of by my teenage son :rolleyes: . this bucket has been in our woods covered for 6-8 months. i actually opened it to see what it was and it was just grey, foul fish juice. can i use this stank juice diluted on my plants? how diluted?

i would also like any recipes for compost tea as I am getting away from synthetics and would like to go organic. I will be purchasing a compost tumbler soon and would also like to utilize my fish heads instead of feeding the cats.

Thanks,

Ben

its probably about 2 gallons. i didint stir it cause even holding my breath it made my eyes water, foul stuff. after that long i'm sure its all just mush if anything. should i add some water and start to stir for a week or so, or just start using it?

we have alot of wild cats here so i am alos worried after using this they may destroy my garden and pots trying to find the fish. do you have issues with wildlife diggin after you fertilize?

its probably about 2 gallons. i didint stir it cause even holding my breath it made my eyes water, foul stuff. after that long i'm sure its all just mush if anything. should i add some water and start to stir for a week or so, or just start using it?

we have alot of wild cats here so i am alos worried after using this they may destroy my garden and pots trying to find the fish. do you have issues with wildlife diggin after you fertilize?
Good two gallons is great! Yep. If it was that bad then its just right ;) Dilute the thing to about 3:1 for a good strong dose. Respectively in any direction depending on your usage. Lighter if you want stronger if you want. How many plants you want to feed etc.. etc..
just buy products from general organics. Much easier.
And costs exponentially more. The whole point behind organics is health and less of an impact on the environment. How effective is that when you buy packaged products that have been processed and shipped... Why buy it when he basically has something far better. He has fish and it makes a great fertilizer, end.
"Easier"....such a subjective term. However if you want to talk mere effectiveness...the fish wins.

Thanks Mill :)

alright i'm headed out to stir it up and give an application to my purties. does toothpaste under the nose help???? my wife is gonna kill me :sick: if she smells it.....

And costs exponentially more. The whole point behind organics is health and less of an impact on the environment. How effective is that when you buy packaged products that have been processed and shipped... Why buy it when he basically has something far better. He has fish and it makes a great fertilizer, end.
much easier than having a bucket of rotting fish heads laying around. Veganics bro. I live in the marijuana capital of the u.s. Everyone grows so these products are easy to obtain and are far more reliable. The fish wins. wtf do think veganics are?

I failed to mention that General ORAGANICS has the ratios written right on the box. It's alot harder to burn up your plants with the ratios done for u. Not sure about the rest of you but i work over 70 hrs a week. Why waste my time with some fish head stew?

Nothing wrong with veganics and infact its great. I don't advocate the use of slaughter house or factory byproducts and utility of slave animals. Essentially this is what vegan growers go for. But my fish, guanos, and worms, don't come from any factory. That I can assure you. Besides I use all types of organic/veggie meals as well. You can live in the mj captial of the us all you want and assume cannabis growers all buy products too. Its just not true. Trust me. I live in the cannabis capital of the world ;)

I used the bottle kind a few years back and stopped using it because it attracted far too many "pests". Ants, flies, bugs, etc etc. not to mention the male cat from a close by neighbor who insisted on spraying my peppers. In all honesty I never noticed any improvement over regular old fert so I just stopped using it.

I used the bottle kind a few years back and stopped using it because it attracted far too many "pests". Ants, flies, bugs, etc etc. not to mention the male cat from a close by neighbor who insisted on spraying my peppers. In all honesty I never noticed any improvement over regular old fert so I just stopped using it.

Sucks about the cat. I don't think the bottled stuff is any better than any other bottled stuff either. Which is why I go with the hydrolysate.

That's a fortunate find in some ways indeed I suppose.
And yes its a lot easier to purchase that or anything ready made. While I'm not opposed to using synthetic fertilizers I try to use more natural things as often as I can.
I'm using something for a solid form called Tomatoes Alive by Gardens Alive and it's always preformed well for me, lacking the fish head stew. However years ago when I, and my father fished we would bury the fish remains whole in the garden about three to four inches under what we were planting, IE tomatoes, peppers, etc. If you buried these things while still "Fresh" and packed in the soil over the carcasses then planted your plant you won't have too many animal problems. (We had one, the neighbors beagle in the city. A soaking with the hose cured that)
Also making your own fertilizer is similar to making a compost bin, just something else to help understand your hobby. I shoot firearms pretty frequently, and reload my own ammunition. Yes, I could purchase it all the time but its more expensive and It helps me understand my hobby more to have the ability to do that.

Plus, you have to have something to do during the off season. ;) Just lucky you can do that there, around here that bucket would be frozen solid in the off season. ;)

much easier than having a bucket of rotting fish heads laying around. Veganics bro. I live in the marijuana capital of the u.s. Everyone grows so these products are easy to obtain and are far more reliable. The fish wins. wtf do think veganics are?

I failed to mention that General ORAGANICS has the ratios written right on the box. It's alot harder to burn up your plants with the ratios done for u. Not sure about the rest of you but i work over 70 hrs a week. Why waste my time with some fish head stew?

Use what you use. If you're sastisfied with your results, by all means, don't change a thing. I have very good results so I like to encourage others to pursue these things. Its all about your comfort zone.

Anyway, this topic is about hydrolysate. So I guess we should probably stay on topic.

They say that about WA also due to the rains we get. I noticed with my chili plants that the rain has drastically helped my damaged plants recover significantly faster than tap water that has has set out for a couple hours. Obviously teas and fish would help also, but just based on water rain water has helped. So long as the soil is properly aerated then the amount of rain doesn't matter as much. Now the sun is out and that's helping to liven things up a bit.

Use what you use. If you're sastisfied with your results, by all means, don't change a thing. I have very good results so I like to encourage others to pursue these things. Its all about your comfort zone.

Anyway, this topic is about hydrolysate. So I guess we should probably stay on topic.

Well said Guru!

i love to try me some fish head peppers stew tea! if i ever keep the fish i catch out the bay i just might attempt one day! but for now non fish tea for me! i still use GH flora nova once every 4-5 watering and my plants are happy. and my backyard in MJ captial of the world.......wait what? LOL every growing condition is defferent so use what makes YOUR plants happy and congratulate those that grow a different way succesfully! we are all on the same path. so if you dont have something to add to the topic then dont say anything. MIll if da GURU says use it..........make it happen you will be happy!

sheeeeeeewwwwwww!!!!!!!! that was some ripe stuff.

i am all for easy and that is why synthetics have been my main source of fertz. but like Obsidian said i am in this hobby deep enough now that why not try to take it to another level. one that is healthier, and cheaper if materials(fish heads) are free. if this works out for me i know i'll have several gallons fermenting over the winter for a seasons worth of fish fert.

Back