event Making Hot Sauce 101 class-2017

salsalady

Business Member
It's time again for another Making Hot Sauce 101 class at the Twisp Grange hall!  :dance:  This is the 3rd year of doing the hot sauce class and the 5th class I've put on.

It all started 3 years ago when some people got together on Tuesday evenings in the winter at the Grange hall for Foodie classes.  Different people would teach classes on baking, chocolates, cheese making, making kimchi, lots of fun stuff.  People would pay a few bucks for the class and the Grange would get a bit of money also. 

I offered to host a making hot sauce class, 12 people showed up and OMG! was it a blast!  Next year I did 2 classes in Twisp and one in Chelan.  We'd have a bit of discussion about chiles, capsaicin, food processing, etc...then divide up into teams and make/bottle some sauces.

This year's recipes include-

pineapple-mango ginger glaze
chipotle-coffee-molasses Bufalo-style
Strawberry Complex Extra hot (like Incinerator or Firestorm for those who have tried those)
Louisiana Style Cayenne pepper sauce
habanero ferment
pumpkin cranberry sage sauce (based on a recipe from Rocketman)
Beet-B-Q sauce
candied peppers (Based on the Candied Habanero recipe posted by DaQatz)

Habanero Ferment started Jan2nd-
10# habaneros
22# other stuff
2% salt by weight
1/2 cup brine from a sauerkraut pouch

Big Mouth Bubbler!
IMG_5720.JPG

IMG_5723.JPG

all of that produce filled the 6 gallon bBubbler to the rim, so I split out a gallon into a small bubbler-
IMG_5728.JPG

IMG_5730.JPG

IMG_5733.JPG

In front of the heater getting happyhappyhappy-
IMG_5794.JPG

Class is this afternoon, so I'll be back with picks this evening.

Love to have visit!  Regardless of a class, the Methow is worth a visit. 

This picture doesn't do justice to the number of sauces out for samples.  There was about 20 different companies represented on the table. 
IMG_5829.JPG

In the Kitchen!   Oh yea, we made 'em hurt, a couple people rubbed their eyes (and they were repeats who knew better!)  Some coughing, several "WOW! THAT"S HOT!!!"  
IMG_5830.JPG

IMG_5831.JPG

IMG_5832.JPG

IMG_5833.JPG

IMG_5834.JPG

IMG_5835.JPG

IMG_5836.JPG

IMG_5837.JPG

more to come~

These folks are TROOPERS!  They made all 8 items, working up to the last minute with shrink wrapping and labeling. 

The names are-
Sweet Surprise- pineapple-mango ginger glaze
Buffalo Breath- chipotle-coffee-molasses Bufalo-style
Bliss- Strawberry Complex Extra hot (like Incinerator or Firestorm for those who have tried those)
Cutter Cayenne- Louisiana Style Cayenne pepper sauce
Carlton Kimchi- habanero ferment
Spicy Pie- pumpkin cranberry sage sauce (based on a recipe from Rocketman)
Beet-B-Q sauce
Candy Kiss- candied peppers (Based on the Candied Habanero recipe posted by DaQatz)

Sweet Surprise, Spicy Pie and Carlton Kimchi
IMG_5838.JPG

Buffalo Breath, Cutter Cayenne
IMG_5839.JPG

Beet-B-Q, Candy Kiss
IMG_5840.JPG

Bliss
IMG_5841.JPG

IMG_5842.JPG

IMG_5845.JPG

The crew made over 200 bottles of sauces and candied peppers in about 3 hours.  About half are 10-12oz bottles.  You Guys Rock!!!

But then again, we've know forever that PepperPeopleRock!!!

Back