• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic Making my own hydroponic system

hot stuff said:
Calcium deficiency?

Thanks and thats what I was thinking too. I got my jalapeño on a light dose of calmag and my habanero on a normal dose. Hopefully in a week or so I see some improvement  :onfire:

bvalente said:

Thanks and thats what I was thinking too. I got my jalapeño on a light dose of calmag and my habanero on a normal dose. Hopefully in a week or so I see some improvement  :onfire:

Cal-mag+ is likely to help, but it won't be from the calcium. That is no calcium deficiency you are looking at.
20130921nutrientdeficiency.jpg

Cal-mag+ is likely to help, but it won't be from the calcium. That is no calcium deficiency you are looking at.
20130921nutrientdeficiency.jpg

Thank you! From your photo it looks like it could possibly be iron? I started it on the cal-mag from GH. I was thinking about putting a tsp of the infamous miracle gro to make up for any other deficiency

bvalente said:
Thank you! From your photo it looks like it could possibly be iron? I started it on the cal-mag from GH. I was thinking about putting a tsp of the infamous miracle gro to make up for any other deficiency

Don't. That will hurt it.

What exactly are you using now and in what concentration?

Often times, you can get nutrient deficient signs when what is actually going on is nute lockout. One good example is if there is too much nitrogen in your mix, the plants will limit or stop uptaking nutes because they can't process all of the nitrogen. This will lead to deficiencies in other minerals, but just adding cal-mag won't help this type of situation.

Jeff H said:

Don't. That will hurt it.

What exactly are you using now and in what concentration?

Often times, you can get nutrient deficient signs when what is actually going on is nute lockout. One good example is if there is too much nitrogen in your mix, the plants will limit or stop uptaking nutes because they can't process all of the nitrogen. This will lead to deficiencies in other minerals, but just adding cal-mag won't help this type of situation.

I am using the General Hydroponics Performance pack and I am using their week 4 nutrients. I have them ratio for a 4 gallon setup. I checked their pH and flushed the entire system a few days ago and they have started to show some improvement. I change the water/nutes every week according to schedule but the Habanero's are the one who have been temperamental. The cal-mag+ I have noticed have made an improvement in just 24hrs for my habs, some leaves that were yellow are starting to turn back to green. Even though my jalapeño was growing well, I put a light dose in there and now it has brown spots on the leaves and their extremely soft  :doh: I didn't think I should have did that seeing how they were fine and thats what I get. So I flushed the rock wool I put it in with regular nutrients so it will bounce back.

I do not have a TDS meter so I can't tell you the range or the EC but up until now they have been doing great. And other than me botching the jalapeños they've been doing great, hopefully the light dose of cal-mag+ won't harm them too much. But next week is their 5th week and new set of nutes, I plan on ordering EZ-Grow hydroponic nutes and using that brand now. It seems a lot easier than GH setup.

I would back off of the nutrients.  Plants that small do not need that high of a concentration.  I would give them a solution of 2ml micro / 4ml bloom and 0.25ml of Floraliscious Plus, per gallon, for a week and see how they do.  GH nutes are very easy to use once you learn to read what the plants need.  The grow schedules from all companies are very heavy and designed to make you go through nutes at a much higher rate than needed.  Plants that small only need a 1/4 to 1/2 strength solution and don't need most additives. 

When I used GH nutes, I used Flora Micro & Bloom, F-Plus, and Pro-Tekt Silica (only for the first 4 weeks).  My rates for full grown plants was 6ml micro / 9ml bloom, 1ml F-Plus, and no more than 0.25ml Silica per gallon.  I grow in coco with a DTW system so my numbers are slighly different.

Thanks

New issue.

The plants are being grown with EZ GROW hydroponic nutrients under a 16 hour photoperiod. I add calcmag appropriately each time I change the nutrients for my habanero.

I come home and see this new ill leaf; any ideas? There are a couple more on the plant

29p42eb.jpg

20k8590.jpg

I just changed the water incase of nutrient burn. I balanced the pH down to 6.0. Scaled the nutrients back to 1/2 strength.

Hoping it was just nutrient burn incase I didn't measure entirely accurately.

Thanks for everyones help! Just a quick update:

I backed off on the nutrients and cut them down to 1/2 strength. This seemed to help because it hasn't progressed and current leaves haven't gotten any worse. The burning has stopped and I am guessing in a few days it will resume back to growing. I guess I was getting a little careless with measuring everything out and using a rounded scoop of nutrients instead of exact measurements, sure enough paid for it.

Incase anyone is wondering what nutrients (not trying to promote anything, just a good brand and the guy is personable and will help, a lot like here):

http://www.ez-grow.com/store/index.php?route=common/home

That's great news, hope your flowers pollinate rather than drop. How tall is your flowering habanero?

Thanks man I hope so too! It's a Tasmanian habanero I got from pepper joes. It's about a foot and a half tall, lots of flower buds since I've pruned it before. A couple have bloomed

Back