• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake Making powder- what blender to use?

dragonsfire said:
You get what you pay for.
Instead of replacing equipment every 6-12months I took the plunge and bought a bledtec, now I dont have to worry about breaking blades or shafts. 
That might be a bit more blender than I can justify for my application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blenders used to last 40 years (like many other appliances), the one that I inherited from my parents broke its shaft when I used dates in their for my smoothy (dates had dried out),  after that the same name brand the blender lasted 6 months, took 10 months to get it replaced on warranty, the new one I was always nervous in what I put in their, it would over heat easy, well the stress took its toll so I shelved it and bought my current one, now I dont have to worry.

I have a 35 year old Osterizer.

I have broken the jar, snapped off the blades, and lost the lid.

Bought all the replacement parts on the InterWebz.

Still works great.

My wife bought a Magic Bullet a few years back to make smoothies and after the fad passed I inherited the kit-n-kaboodle. Never had an issue with overheating and parts are easy to find on Amazon or eBay if you do. 

ec9239e0-b3fb-4949-9726-fc67d903bd9c_1.29711e9946300227cf89e50543009245.jpeg

coffee grinders from thrift stores or michaels/homegoods. They're super cheap at those places and if they break it's no big deal. Gets my powders nice and fine as well. 

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
So the bases burn up not the motor?
Exactly. The motor itself is fine. Just the bearings in the base wears out super quick and gets very hot. A new base only lasts like 3 batches before its junk. They sell for $8-12 but its still not worth it if they only last a week.

I think it has to be a design flaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For small jobs I have an old Braun coffee grinder that was ~ $10.

For large jobs (pounds of powder) I use the same Waring that Scovie recommended earlier in this thread.  The *only* thing I don't like about either grinder is that its difficult to get flakes like for a pizza shaker.  For that I just use a mortar & pestle.  :)

A buck-forty ain't cheap,
but I've burned through enough $20-$30 grinders by now that the $140 seems like a bargain...
Scoville DeVille said:

Back