Making some cream cheese kolaches

First attempt at making my own kolaches. I used to eat these things every weekend from this awesome little czech bakery back home. I haven't looked around town for a kolache shop and I was in the cooking mood anyway so I figured why not give it a shot. I got the yeast waking up in a bowl right now and I just finished creaming some butter. Next I'm going to mix everything together and let it rise while I watch a movie. Then comes baking. And finally this:

kitten-food.jpg

I'll post pics first though

Well I forgot to take pics, but they didn't turn out quite as good as I had hoped. I tried to make whole wheat kolaches and ran into the same problem I run into a lot when trying to use whole wheat flour. Kinda dry and a bit tough, not the nice soft dinner roll texture a kolache is supposed to have. Good part is I nailed the filling, the cream cheese came out excellent. I believe part of the problem with the texture was I didn't get a good rise out of the dough. I think it was too cold in my house, i let it sit for an hour and it was the same size and cool to the touch, so I put it in the bathroom with the shower running on hot to get some heat/humidity going and i finally got it to rise. Any tips on getting dough to rise in a freezing ass house?

What?? You make kolache and no pics! Dude...3/4 of my family heritage is Bohunk. I grew up on kolaches, stuffed cabbage, goulash and every other damned gypsy food out there. Luckily the other 1/4 is Scottish...and since you have no pics...I might as well have a drink...or 6.

Cheers, TB.

Txclosetgrower said:
Well I forgot to take pics, but they didn't turn out quite as good as I had hoped. I tried to make whole wheat kolaches and ran into the same problem I run into a lot when trying to use whole wheat flour. Kinda dry and a bit tough, not the nice soft dinner roll texture a kolache is supposed to have. Good part is I nailed the filling, the cream cheese came out excellent. I believe part of the problem with the texture was I didn't get a good rise out of the dough. I think it was too cold in my house, i let it sit for an hour and it was the same size and cool to the touch, so I put it in the bathroom with the shower running on hot to get some heat/humidity going and i finally got it to rise. Any tips on getting dough to rise in a freezing ass house?

Almost forgot...while mixing the dough, preheat your oven to 200 or so, then turn off. By the time your dough is done kneading it should be just right to let the dough proof in there.

Cheers, TB.

Took your advice on proofing in a cold ass apartment, and it worked. This batch is made with all purpose flour too so they'll probably kick a bit more ass. Filling was nailed last time so im not changing a thing.

Hey Txclosetgrower you have any formal cooking training? I'm gaining weight just reading your food threads. You've got some mad skillz man.

You have anything special for baby back ribs? Got a rack I'm looking to make memorable. Thanks.

patrick said:
Hey Txclosetgrower you have any formal cooking training? I'm gaining weight just reading your food threads. You've got some mad skillz man.

You have anything special for baby back ribs? Got a rack I'm looking to make memorable. Thanks.

Thanks for the compliment man, I'm self taught :) I started cooking alot about 2 years ago, to save money in school. I found out that I actually enjoy cooking, and turns out I'm pretty good at it.

And actually, yes I do have a badass recipe for baby back ribs. Can't take credit for this one, but it's a fantastic recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/who-loves-ya-baby-back-recipe/index.html

Since I don't have a grill in this apartment, I have to make everything inside. This recipe makes some of the best ribs I've ever had, falling off the bone tender. And you use the drippings of the meat + the braising liquid to make a BBQ sauce that you baste on the ribs. Feel free to modify the seasonings to your taste, but this recipe is a solid starting point for making ridiculous ribs. I usually have to make 4-6 racks every time I go home for any holiday, they're requested by everyone. Best non-BBQd bbq ribs you'll ever have.

Actually man, you made me want some baby back ribs too. I'm going to pick up a rack on the way home and rub them down tonight. I'll post pics tomorrow of the results. The only problem with making ribs this way is that you have to wait a whole day :(

The waiting's even worse if you know how much ass they're going to kick.

Back