food Making some wings for lunch, new recipe

Well I decided to break out the turkey fryer and try some wings fried instead of baked today for lunch

Wings:
Thawed and halved
tossed in mayo and 2 eggs
tossed in Panko bread crumbs finely ground

Sauce:
Defcon 1
Defcon 2
butter melted with minced garlic
ancho chili powder
cocoa chili powder
ketchup (sweetens)
cajun seasoning
cracked black pepper

Lets see how they turn out!!!!

DSC_0250.jpg

DSC_0251.jpg

DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0254.jpg

Finished product

DSC_02503.jpg

I had some difficulty with applying the sauce. Usually I just toss the wings in the sauce in a metal pan, but due to the bread crumbs potentially falling off, I had to basically slather the wings with a sauce brush.

Wings are incredibly crunchy, which is exactly what I was going for. The only downside is the breading takes away from the full flavor of the sauce. What I am doing is pulling off the chicken from the bone, and dipping it in left over sauce, which works perfectly.

I am definitely going to do this one again.

You better have saved me some! I don't know about the panko. I'd like to try them before I give my opinion. Sauce sounds great though.

I was a little iffy about the panko, but I wanted to try it out

The panko does draw away from the wing a little bit

Ill bring some into work tonight if you want to stop on by

Breading, yes, usually soggy wings. But if you just flour them before they hit the frier they can actually come out crispier than plain wings. Try rice flour. Just a light coating. It crisps up and doesn't get soggy and allows for lots of sauce to stick.

I got two of these and they are good. The breading is a little overwhelming, but the sauce tastes awesome. Good job Wheebz.

Back