• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Making use of some strange-tasting Aji Limon.

I had heard that this pepper can sometimes have a flavor reminiscent of soap before I bought it, but I had not expected to be so...overpowering in the batch I harvested recently.

What other flavor I can taste initially is nice, but it quickly gets overwhelmed by the soap-like floral flavor.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to make that particular flavor more palatable. My initial thought was that complementing it with some kind of sweetener might make it more appetizing; perhaps a hot sauce with orange/pineapple juice as the acidic component.

I suggest just rolling with the punches. Make a sauce and add a few ounces of Palmolive or Dawn, see how that goes...

A more serious suggestion is to give plus to some other ppl for second opinions. It might taste off to you, but it may not be a universal perception. Another thing that has worked for me with Chocolate chinense is that often, pods taste different after being dried or smoked. Personally, I struggle with what i perceive to be acrid notes in chocolate Chinense but some of my buddies don't pick that up, and even my perception entirely changes after the things have been dried out and powdered.

So, sort answer is, increase the field of ppl sampling the Limones and consider altering the form from fresh to dry/smoked.

Hth

I saw that recipe for pepper puree floating around here and decided I'd try that out once I get enough peppers for a decent batch, though maybe with some rice vinegar for a touch more sweetness.

The flavor isn't necessarily bad, just really concentrated. It reminds me of how a lemon would taste if you stripped away most of the acidity and sweetness leaving the floral and bitter tastes as the dominant ones.

Had someone else in the family try one of the peppers and strangely, they didn't detect the "soapy" flavor and said it tasted like a rather typical pepper.

Not sure if they just got lucky or if their perception is simply different from mine. I read some articles saying that certain flavors in various plants can be a lot more pronounced to specific individuals due to variance in taste buds, so perhaps this pepper simply isn't made for me.

I've been letting the latest batch sit on the plant longer before harvesting to see if that makes a difference because I had been picking them the instant they became completely yellow previously.

Out of curiosity, do you find that cilantro has a soapy taste?

In the love-hate wars of cilantro, it seems to me that those who hate it find it has a soapy taste. I thought it had a soapy taste when I was younger, but as I kept eating it in various dishes, that taste went away. Now I can't taste the soapy, only the delicious.

Maybe try it in some dishes and you'll adjust to the soapy/stop tasting it, too?

Ironically, I love cilantro and it tastes fine to me, but the individual who found the lemon pepper palatable loathes the stuff.

At this point I've probably got close to two pounds of pods harvested with more still on their way, so I think I ought to do something with them now.

I finally decided to take the plunge with these peppers by over-drying a batch and making pepper flakes.

I'm kind of amazed by how drastically the flavor changed from the process. It's sweet and spicy with a citrus tang and perhaps even a hint of nuts. I definitely want to try cooking something up with it, though deciding what is the new hurdle now.

Back