• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

nutrients Making your own nutrients

I supplement calcium, alk and Magnesium in my reef tank all the time. I buy these 3 additives in bulk and I wonder if they could be used as nutrients for my plants. Here is a link to the stuff I buy http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/calcium-alkalinity-magnesium

thats calcium chloride and magnesium chloride? you could use these in smallish amounts, but its not terribly suitable as a fertilize. it would contain to much chloride(Cl-). plants can actually tolerate a fair amount of chloride, but since you need nitrates sulphates etc. id just buy calcium nitrate and magnesium sulphate among others.

i see alot of carbonates and even hydroxides, is that stuff for raising the alkalinity of the aquarium?

Thanks for suggesting maxi bloom/grow, I would like to use them becasue they are cheap and simple.

So, thanks again I really learned a lot. In an in-organic or synthetic fertilizer program there is no reason to worry about chlorine. In an organic program I think it may or may not hurt the micro life in organic soils rendering the the nutrients to not be broken down for the plant as in-organic the fertilizer is instantly available to the plant.

Yea that is the only downside to chlorine I can see. I was doing a bit of research and found your very right, some professor from a plant college said something like; plants can have a lot of water with high amounts of chlorine dumped on them with no hurt to the plant at all.

I am not a big fan of chlorine, in fact I don't add any chlorine in to the nutrients at all. I believe there is enough chlorine in the water. Maybe it won't hurt our plants, but the bacterial life around our plants may be hurt.

I am using a eb and flood system, where the roots of my plants receive a lot of oxygen, if I would use chlorine ( which becomes a gas ) then I am affraid that the roots will receive less oxygen.

Maybe it's just in my head, maybe I am all wrong.....still, I don't like chlorine

Just my 5 cents to this as I also make my own nutes, but for the experimental purpose, for the main plants I do use commercial products.

If you want to know your nutes ratios, know how many grams of each substance to add, you might look up a freeware product called " Hydrobuddy " that greatly helps with the calculations !

definatly use hydrobuddy, the math to calculate the mg/l is too annoying. i used to use an excell spread sheet, and just adjust chemicals manually to get the mg/l values i needed... took way to long.

hydrobuddy means you dont have to bookmark the wikipedia periodic table for damn molar weights... use it

Back