• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest March TD, African

What's your pick for March's TD?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So decided since I am drinking it's a good time to do research I found my dish... get ready for this weekend y'all its gonna be fantastic!!!!!!!

Cabron Juevos wouldn't work for Africa.

WHYNOT?!?!??? OK, let's rename them.....SAHARA OYSTERS!!!!!!!!!!

Nice ginger berries there SL.

[bait-and-switch]..... still wanna come over for dinner this weekend? ;)

We'll go find a diner that has that on the menu.
i'll walk around SoBe with a big piece of cardboard with that written on it and a question mark.

forgot what I was gonna write about that comment and it's not showing up by scrolling up..... brb~~~

Some do, yes. Particularly in the cities. But is ramen African? LOL

ramen is omnipotent

So a question for all ya CI Heroes out there....If I braise something (hint, hint) and I want to let it sit in the fridge overnight to let the fat congeal before removing it the next day and reheating will it totally F up my CI?

And yes, Ramen-ness is next to cleanliness, which is always next to Godliness. So by proxy Ramen=God...or something like that.

So a question for all ya CI Heroes out there....If I braise something (hint, hint) and I want to let it sit in the fridge overnight to let the fat congeal before removing it the next day and reheating will it totally F up my CI?

If you have it well seasoned, it shouldn't be a problem.
Obviously it depends on what the braising liquid is. High acidity may be a problem.
I think the reason it congeals is because of fats and connective tissues, which are ultimately GOOD for a CI.
I've done it. Cooked stuff in a CI, let it sit overnight in the pan, and everything worked out fine.
Worst case, if you mess it up, CI is pretty forgiving, and you can just re-season it with a pack of bacon or Crisco (use bacon, though).

My two cents.
Good luck!

And yes, Ramen-ness is next to cleanliness, which is always next to Godliness. So by proxy Ramen=God...or something like that.
MG, I'm a little nervous man, I got stuff for braising something as well. :( Hope we're not doing the same thing.
If you have it well seasoned, it shouldn't be a problem.
Obviously it depends on what the braising liquid is. High acidity may be a problem.
I think the reason it congeals is because of fats and connective tissues, which are ultimately GOOD for a CI.
I've done it. Cooked stuff in a CI, let it sit overnight in the pan, and everything worked out fine.
Worst case, if you mess it up, CI is pretty forgiving, and you can just re-season it with a pack of bacon or Crisco (use bacon, though).

My two cents.
Good luck!

UH OH! I'm braising, too! But I bet we all have really different dishes in the end!

For the CI, I agree with FD4. If it's something like, meat, broth, onion, potato, it should be fine in the CI, but if there's anything acidic, I'd take it out.

Actually, thinking about this as I'm typing, if it's a full dutch oven type pot, and you put it straight into the fridge, it will not cool fast enough and you run the risk of food poisoning. And if you leave the lid on the full pot of food in the CI, which retains heat........bad things could happen~~~ I know, everyone will chime in here that "they've done it and never gotten sick"....I'm just saying....

if the food in the CI is less than 2" deep, you can safely leave it in the CI. If it's deeper than 2" when in the pot, personally, I'd transfer it to a flatter dish overnight and then back in the CI to re-heat.

Looking forward to see what you got cookin'!

Thanks for the tips, may just do it all in one day and skim the fat....gonna be a lot of it...

Dont worry Aaron and SL, I am gonna win. Braise all you want but you might as well sit this one out.

Don't listen to him, the burger thread is awesome!!! And motivating. It can propel you to throwdown greatness! Most of my best ideas come when I am hungry.

Thanks for the tips, may just do it all in one day and skim the fat....gonna be a lot of it...

Dont worry Aaron and SL, I am gonna win. Braise all you want but you might as well sit this one out.

I believe you've misttaken MG. My entry vwill bury yours, all of NC will hold a funeral for your dish followed by bowing of mine. Your destruction will be seen from SoFlo. Bear, that guy, himself will make it the PNW just to congratulate me on my win.

sheesh I wish I could sit this one out, but I already bought the shanks... ~~~ bummer part is I was hoping to invite "the neighbours" over, but I don't think Scovie wants to eat goat shanks, let alone goat danglies.....

:mope:

I believe you've misttaken MG. My entry vwill bury yours, all of NC will hold a funeral for your dish followed by bowing of mine. Your destruction will be seen from SoFlo. Bear, that guy, himself will make it the PNW just to congratulate me on my win.

:duck-n-weave:

bummer part is I was hoping to invite "the neighbours" over, but I don't think Scovie wants to eat goat shanks, let alone goat danglies.....

No to the gd's. just say no! We'll be there SL, unless we're too hungover, (today is grout day pt.2)
Get the pop-up trailer ready anyway...

Cookin today but have to wait until tomorrow to eat...

Also, before you get any crazy ideas, I am dedicating this win to Bootsie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back