• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mas Fuego's South Florida Grow 2017

With any luck I can make this a fairly interesting grow log for the beginners like me. If you want to follow a professional grower to glean pro-style tips, keep moving. If you want to watch a guy stumble along the road of gardening, you are in the right place!

I am in south Florida so I don't have a frost to worry about. it does get cold(ish) around February and theoretically I should wait till then to go outside but like I said, I am not a pro.

The plan is to grow in pots on a drip irrigation system that I plan to build.

I will try to track my seeds and where they came from:

Currently Growing
Jalapeno - Burpee
Serano - Burpee [Not gonna grow]
Brazilian Ghost  - Forum  [Probably Not gonna grow]
Jamaican Scotch Bonnet - Forum
White Hab - Ebay [None have made fully germinated]
Chocolate Hab - EBay  [Probably Not gonna grow]
Yellow 7 Pot - Forum   [Probably Not gonna grow]
Red Sweet Pepper - Ebay
Carolina Reaper - Forum

Cucamellon - eBay - these take off!
Pickle Cuke - eBay
Homestead Tomato - eBay
Floridade Tomato - eBay
Tomatillo - scrapped out of a tomatillo from Publix

Awaiting Arrival
Habanero Paper Lantern - Juanitos
cumari do para - Juanitos

Still Trying To Source
sweetheart pepper
Sweet Lunchbox Mini Peppers
Sugar Rush Peach Pepper
(basically any mild, sweet peppers)
Ají Lemon Drop
Malawi Piquante

Tonight's harvest

yatBLgs.jpg

My garden overall has had a fairly significant setback. While I was getting my fert injector set up with the right proportions I was seriously under fertilizing my plants and it took me a while to realize it. Some started yellowing and many started dropping fruit and leaves.  I figured it out middle of last week and started hand fertilizing again and the plants have already responded with much better color.

I lost a bunch of Red Papper Lanterns and a few others.

I started early because I knew there would be a learning curve.

I am going to freeze all these except the scotch bonnets. I am going to make a small batch of experimental hot sauce with them.

With your mad skills, those plants will bounce back, my friend.

A little Florida sunshine might work wonders.  Looks cloudy in
some of your pics. The pods look just awesome.  Nice work.

PaulG said:
With your mad skills, those plants will bounce back, my friend.

A little Florida sunshine might work wonders.  Looks cloudy in
some of your pics. The pods look just awesome.  Nice work.

It's been pretty hot here lately. I wind up taking most pics early evening.

I don't know about any skills. I am trying to figure this thing out. And when you post a problem on the forums, I have found you always get three answers, two completely contradict each other, and the third insinuates the problem is so easy to figure out the real problem is you.

So I am plugging away. Not sure if I have killed all the mites. Don't know if I am giving enough nutes. No idea if these plants will make me proud or make folks wonder why I have given so much of my yard to them.

Just plugging away.

mas_fuego said:

It's been pretty hot here lately. I wind up taking most pics early evening.

I don't know about any skills. I am trying to figure this thing out. And when you post a problem on the forums, I have found you always get three answers, two completely contradict each other, and the third insinuates the problem is so easy to figure out the real problem is you.   :rofl: Pretty funny, Carl! About the best advise I ever got was don't love them to death.  Every season brings it's own challenges, and if not, I usually wind up creating them!

So I am plugging away. Not sure if I have killed all the mites. Don't know if I am giving enough nutes. No idea if these plants will make me proud or make folks wonder why I have given so much of my yard to them.

Just plugging away.

My first ripe ripe Pink Habanero. I was expecting this to be more mild.

6Z7AMMy.jpg

Scotch Bonnet MOAs

33Asz4j.jpg

Here is where things get dicey. I got seeds from someone on Reddit and stuff is not growing true as far as I can tell.

Yellow 7 Pot

J3N7nIU.jpg

This is supposed to be Chocolate Hab

WGU2Fcy.jpg

This said it is Brazilian Ghost Pepper, but that ain't no Ghost. Looks like Reaper to me.

I0OgkTC.jpg

Aji Lemon Drop

sBuzcIL.jpg

Starting my first round in the dehydrator. Been waiting to use it.

Here is what I have been learning so far, these opinions my not be shared by anyone else:
  • Almost all mild peppers are not mild. Pink habaneros?nope. The only one that I have found mild and tasty so far are Aji habanero.
  • Eating raw hot peppers is not enjoyable for me.
  • Really hot peppers are even less enjoyable.
  • I may never use the peppers I am growing. I just sent a usps box to my brother in law in another state.
  • If I could successfully grow anything else i would like to eat I would. But none have really come out well.
  • Next year I am probably going to grow multiples of 3 or maybe 4 peppers. I find no reason to have so many varieties.
  • Just had my first Red Paper Lantern and I got COMPLETELY LIT UP!! Sweet Jesus that was hot. And I had a small piece.
  • Hoping my dehydrator makes all these more useful.

Very nice plants and great haul! Man, pods already?! Woohoo! Lol. I like the color on that Pink Habanero. Like a pale peach color (but I CAN see a lil pink). I also never use all that I grow. Not many people around here like hot or spicy anything. But I still grow more and more every year. I can say that I love eating raw hot peppers. I just would like to be able to eat more than just a half a pod. Lol. But that's after building a tolerance. Looking great, my friend! Keep up the great work!

-Adam

Bhuter said:
Very nice plants and great haul! Man, pods already?! Woohoo! Lol. I like the color on that Pink Habanero. Like a pale peach color (but I CAN see a lil pink). I also never use all that I grow. Not many people around here like hot or spicy anything. But I still grow more and more every year. I can say that I love eating raw hot peppers. I just would like to be able to eat more than just a half a pod. Lol. But that's after building a tolerance. Looking great, my friend! Keep up the great work!

-Adam

I tried my first Red Paper Lantern and was in serious pain for waaaaay too long. It was kind of crazy.

Thanks.

Malarky said:
Make some jelly man! I got two really good recipe's (virtually the same recipe) from PeterStanley

Now that I have a dehydrator, at least I can store them without taking up too much room. I may try jelly.

Malarky said:
Kill it dead!!!
Burn it with fire!
It's a tomato horn worm and it will eat your plants. Look for others...

Wait! That worm might be carrying precious cargo!

Keep it in a jar and wait a few days (maybe with a couple pepper leaves if you want).

If it looks like this after awhile, then it's got braconid wasp larva in it. Put the jar back in the garden so they can finish eating their host from the inside out and become adults and instigate more worm carnage!

MycWoSr.jpg

If it still looks healthy after some time in the jar...  :flamethrower:

photo credit to biologicco.com

Back