• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Masher's eats

First time trying Cinnamon Rolls, weather is cold, wet, windy...good day to try.

Watched this: 
I did use a stand up mixer....I chose this recipe as it was half the size of others and less waste if i mucked it up.  ;)
Then I assembled this:

Used a Baking dish vs a metal pan so decreased heat by 25 degrees.

20 mins @ 350* F   Should have let cooled before applying glaze but happy with the results for a first timer.

Weather is over cast today...a few sprinkles here and there. Home game today Seahawks vs Eagles.

Decided to make a test run with an upside down Turkey....I hate dry white meat. Had an extra 12lb bird on hand, so decided to give it a shot.

Wasn't going to take pics, but mise well document the flop or success either way.

I did stuff this bird with traditional seasoned bread stuffing, onion, celery, butter, broth, 1 egg then used some truss skewers to sew it up and keep the stuffing inside because of the weight pushing down on the cavity.

Sitting on a bed of carrots, celery, onion and 2 cups leftover broth from simmering the giblets.

It's already had 20 mins at 325*...foil tent removed for the pic.

Plan is 3.5 hrs upside down, then flip, check temps and see where it's at.

Never done this before, sort of a Frankenbird experiment. Going for flavor over looks..tick tock, tick tock.

3 hrs Breast down at 325*  then with a little work, turned it over and removed the foil for another 1hr at 325*

Pulled it at 180* thigh temp.....rest time was 45 mins

In a word..Success!!! Very moist throughout, everything was done perfectly, Breast meat remains juicy even an hr after slicing.

Skin is not crisp, but I expected that....while I love the skin, the moist bird was a great trade off.

Probably wouldn't try it with anything larger because of the flipping process...12-13 lbs was perfect.

Right out of the oven and resting.

1hr and 45mins total time after rest and slicing.

Just adding recent stuff here so I don't forget it.

2017 Rib roast "choice grade from costco.

5 bone just under 11lbs.

Dry aged in fridge for 11 days.....set at room temp for 6 hrs before roasting.

225* for 3 hrs...pulled and rested 1hr.

Back in the oven for 8 mins @ 450* to get the skin crusted up.

Rest 10mins, slice and serve.

Dry aged and coming to room temp.

Crust and skin after 8 mins @ 450*

Money shot 

My attempt at Scotch Eggs

Details:

1lb jimmy dean sausage
4 soft boiled eggs (4 mins then submerged into ice water bath)
1 tsp goatweed powder
chives

salt and pepper in the flour
eggwash with milk
Progresso italian bread crumbs (didn't have panko.
cooked 5 mins at 350*

Fresno pepper dipping sauce

Next time adjustments:
Omit salt
adjust temp to 325* for 4 mins
Bread crumbs were great, will use panko next go around.

Second attempt....Excellent!!!
Great taste, flavor is spot on, panko crust is the shizzle!!

Batch was perfect for 6 scotch eggs total.

4 mins on the eggs then into ice water bath is the bare minimum.  I like a runny yolk but small amounts of the whites could use a few more seconds.
If you want to use this as a guide I suggest 4.5 minutes before placing into ice water.

Adjustments:

Beer brats casings removed
Omited salt from flour
Panko
Deep fried 4 mins at 310* - 320*

Hi Dan  you're quite the cook there..really great selections...& so well presented/plated..
Lots of great choices  for the holidays...keep up the good work..good to see you spending more time here. ;)

Thanks Sandy,  Lots of screen time with winter and all.

Hope all is well with you, saw your weather has been freakin cold and tons of snow.

Have a great weekend and cheers to the new year  :beer:

Back