• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Maters, Maters, Maters: A grow list

Here's my tomato grow list for 2009:

Besides a few seeds saved from commercial tomatoes I will grow

Cherokee Purple
Super Sioux
Cuban Black
Roughwood Golden Tiger
Purple Calabash
Mariannas Peace

Well, not maters but on my grow list too:

Physalis peruviana (Cape gooseberry)
Physalis ixocarpa (violet tomatillo)
Goji berry

Went through the Richters 2009 herb catalog and saw some pretty cool stuff you might wanna take a look at. I also would like to recommend Brandy Boy, Yellow Pear, and Amish Gold.

I've got my seeds but am waiting another ten days before sowing them.

Red Delicious
Green Sausage
Roma
Beefsteak
Riesentraube
Siletz
Red Zebra
Golden Monarch

Mike

Gotta start somewhere... My space is limited. Well, at least theres some non-pepper plants on my list to please my wife.

I haven't tried any of them, I received the Cherokee Purple seeds from Pepperfever. I want to grow this variety because of my wife's heritage. And the others I ordered according to their descriptions. I'm curious and agitated now! :onfire:

You don't understand, I *REALLY* recommend the Brandy Boy, Yellow Pear and Amish Gold toms. like REALLY. MASSIVE YIELDS of my three new favorite toms.

wordwiz said:
I've got my seeds but am waiting another ten days before sowing them.

We will move to another house in the next weeks starting on January 31st. I will start the maters after moving. I hope my peppers will all survive the transport. It's just a four miles distance and the car will be heated but it's stress for the plants anyway.

Omri said:
You don't understand, I *REALLY* recommend the Brandy Boy, Yellow Pear and Amish Gold toms. like REALLY. MASSIVE YIELDS of my three new favorite toms.

Now if you so very much REALLY MASSIVE recommend them I'm REALLY considering them now. Where did you get the seeds from? Richters?

I don't REALLY MASSIVE recommend them. I simply REALLY recommend them, as they are delicious and have MASSIVE YIELDS. those specific toms I got out of trades, but I know tomato growers carry Yellow Pear and tomato fest carry the rest. all three are amazing in taste, and I grew A LOT of toms last season. me liking those three so much means a lot. just my personal taste.

What do you use them for?
In summer I eat a lot of tomato salad. I make a lot of spaghetthi sauces. And I'm looking for hot sauce- / salsa-maters.

I'm curious how tomatillos will be in hot sauce.

The Siletz should be fantastic for canning whole tomatoes - very, very few seeds. The Green Sausage is great for salsas - very few seeds, next to no juice and though they are suppose to be determinate, they produced all year for me; I plucked a dozen or so unripe ones (they get streaks of yellow when ripe) in October, just before a killing frost.

Mike

The Amish Gold are really thick, so they'll go well in sauces, pastes and probably salsas, too. the other two are not too juicy (especially Brandy Boy), so no tomato juice, but they're great for everything else. I for example used the Yellow Pear a lot in salads, and ate a lot fresh too! Brandy Boy is now officially the perfect sandwich tomato for me.

I grew Brandy Boy tomatoes one year because I really like Brandywine tomatoes, but they don't do well if we have a hot summer. They were good and reasonably productive, but I'm not as crazy about them as Omri is. I thought the Rose tomato had better flavor.

I do love those pink tomatoes.

I find that I really only eat the cherry varieties. So this year it is all cherry types for me.

Sweet Million
Sun Sugar
Black Cherry
Snow White

I'll be over run with tomatoes, but there are plenty of people to give them too.

Omri said:
The Amish Gold are really thick, so they'll go well in sauces, pastes and probably salsas, too. the other two are not too juicy (especially Brandy Boy), so no tomato juice, but they're great for everything else. I for example used the Yellow Pear a lot in salads, and ate a lot fresh too! Brandy Boy is now officially the perfect sandwich tomato for me.

The Amish Gold and the Yellow Pear seem to be old varieties so it should be possible to save their seeds. The Brandy Boy seems to be a hybrid with sterile flowers as far as I read so I wouldn't be able to reproduce them from own seed stock year after year.

Pam said:
I grew Brandy Boy tomatoes one year because I really like Brandywine tomatoes, but they don't do well if we have a hot summer. They were good and reasonably productive, but I'm not as crazy about them as Omri is. I thought the Rose tomato had better flavor.

I do love those pink tomatoes.
I must admit I haven't tried the Rose tom, but if it's anything like those Brandywine tomatoes, I'm sure it's real good. anyways, the Brandy Boy tom was really productive for me, and that was surprising after reading that type of toms produce poor yields.

Armadillo @ Both Amish Gold and Yellow Pear are great, extremely productive plants with the Amish Gold more on the sweet side, but both very good.

I'm still working on my list but growing mostly ones I grew previous years, and 3 or 4 new ones. I likely won't start many seeds until the beginning of March and that gives me 3+ months before I plant in the ground.

POTAWIE said:
I'm still working on my list but growing mostly ones I grew previous years, and 3 or 4 new ones. I likely won't start many seeds until the beginning of March and that gives me 3+ months before I plant in the ground.

Save some room for the blacks Derek, there on thier way.

Dale

Man I'm glad I found this thread.

I'm going through Tomato Growers catalog right now trying to make some decisions with little luck. Can someone recommend a couple tomatoes? I'm looking for a very sweet one and one for making sauces with. Suggestions?

Thanks folks.

patrick said:
Man I'm glad I found this thread.

I'm going through Tomato Growers catalog right now trying to make some decisions with little luck. Can someone recommend a couple tomatoes? I'm looking for a very sweet one and one for making sauces with. Suggestions?

Thanks folks.

Ah, catalog fondling, what a lovely way to pass the evening. I just got my order from Tomato Growers Supply in the mail today.

What are the summer highs where you live? I think you do better to include some that were developed in or for your part of the country.

Back