• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Maters, Maters, Maters: A grow list

There are several varieties in the TG catalog that are heat tolerant...I ordered 4 different ones but can't find the seeds or list of what I ordered...I think they are at work..

Penny said:
So far i have decided on,
Amish Paste,
ildi
black cherry
mortgage lifter
Have to decide on the rest.

You know, I tried the black cherry, but I wasn't too impressed with it. It's an interesting looking variety, but I didn't think it had the taste of some of the other cherry tomatoes. Have you grown it before?

Ildi is a new one on me, but Mortgage Lifters are great tomatoes!

I never really liked Ildi, or the black cherry(tomato growers) but I'm hoping to try a different black cherry this season

POTAWIE said:
I never really liked Ildi, or the black cherry(tomato growers) but I'm hoping to try a different black cherry this season

Now there's a thought, you think there might be strain differences in taste? We certainly see heat differences in strains of peppers, but I guess I thought the black cheery was too new to be seeing different strains.

anyone interested in a seedless variety?

Burpee has a new one out called a "Sweet Seedless Hybrid". Says "World's first seedless tomato! The lack of seeds guves an immediate sweeter taste than other tomatoes. Its disease resistance ensures healthy yields. Indeterminate - 68 Days"

seeds are expensive - 10/4.95USD

I ordered a pack...

Hm...I wonder how the lack of seeds gives a sweeter taste?

The only hybrids I usually grow are a couple of Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus varieties, and that's because I never want to have a tomato-less summer again.

I suppose they are saying that seeds detract from the sweetness...I suppose it could make sense...

what do you use the black cherrys for (don't say eating :lol:)

are they slicers, salad tomatos, sauce etc. ?

Pam said:
Now there's a thought, you think there might be strain differences in taste? We certainly see heat differences in strains of peppers, but I guess I thought the black cheery was too new to be seeing different strains.

I don't think they are all new, I'm sure there are black cherry heirloom varieties
Edit: Didn't I just start a tomato talk 2009 thread the other day?

POTAWIE said:
I don't think they are all new, I'm sure there are black cherry heirloom varieties

Ah, ok. Well, I'll be interested in your results.

Edit: Didn't I just start a tomato talk 2009 thread the other day?

Yes, but this one was nice and handy and right at the top.

AJ, I was very interested in that seedless one from Burpee, it's too costly to order one packet with S/H fees. If the flavor is good, that's a nice concept!

Chris

Does the name "Mortgage Lifters" say that they're very prolific? Like that one pepper variety my cousin calls his "Cash Cow"?

Back