• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Matt's Yellow Brain Strain Hydro Grow

Ok, it has begun, I soaked 30 rockwool cubes last saturday afternoon and put in 10 different types of seeds, 3 of each variety. One of the varieties was the Yellow Brain Strain I am going to grow that you all voted for. Here's the deal, I will do all the work and take all the cost on myself. When the plant becomes podiful and I get Yellow Brain Strain seeds, you are each welcome to a package of them, for free, nothing asked for, nothing expected in return.

So guess who decided to show up for New Years Eve 2011??? I am having a small party in my basement tonight, me, my computer and some Jack & Cokes. I dont like going out for NYE, too many drunk drivers and too many cops looking to bust people for the smallest thing. I will stay home and "baby sit", I promise no whiskey for our little girl. LOL

I am completely amazed on rockwool, just 1 week and out she pushed her little stem. I noticed the hook last night, was very amazed how fast it sprouted, wanted to wait to unveil her until she was standing tall. Still hasnt stretched her arms out yet but she is looking better each hour and the cap fell off as soon as she stood up.
BSYellow1.jpg

She looks so tiny in her new home. It is a 3.5 gallon bucket DWC system with a 8" net pot lid. There is a 4" round stone attatched to the bottom of the bucket and a sight tube running up the side. I am using a dual output adjustable pump turned up all the way because I am using it to power both of my DWC buckets.

BSYellow12-31.jpg

The plan is to carefully fill in the hydroton around her stem as she grows. Any comments or input is openly welcomed as well since I am no expert at hydro. If you feel I am doing something wrong or need to do something more, please let me know. I will be feeding it X-Nutrients Grow and Micro until I run out then I dont know what brand I am switching to.

I would put it back into the tray with the other RW cubes. Once you have roots coming out of the RW thats when you want to plant it into your hydro system.

I would put it back into the tray with the other RW cubes. Once you have roots coming out of the RW thats when you want to plant it into your hydro system.

I agree.. unless you are constantly pouring from your reservoir onto that cube, its probably not even getting the nutrients/water needs.

Ok, that makes sence. There is a tiny tap root sticking out the bottom of the rockwool and I have the solution level a little high, its just above the bottom of the net.

Cool deal... I noticed when I put that buble foil around the stem and covered the bucket with it on top, the bugs must not like it. I had bugs on some plants, but the one with the reflective surface stayed clean...

I agree.. unless you are constantly pouring from your reservoir onto that cube, its probably not even getting the nutrients/water needs.

I usually pull them out of the germinator once they point straight up, and move them into a small food storage container that I add weak hydro solution to it twice a day until I start seeing multiple roots coming out of the bottom. Once there's a root structure evident, I move them into an Emily's Garden kit to start the growth process, which is a grouped DWC with six different pots in it. Once the roots start coming out the bottom of the pot, I move the pot to its individual 5 gallon setup.

Thanks for the tip Nova, I took it back out of the hydro unit and put it in a small tupperware dish by itself with 1/3 strength solution. Would it be beneficial to the seedling to have the tuperware on the heat mat with the others that are still germinating?

Back