• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

MAYAN COBANERO QUESTIONS

HELLO IM TRYING TO GROW MAYAN COBANERO LOVE PEPPERS

#1 > i started two seperate pots with 2 different batches of seed
i planted them 3 weeks ago or better and no germination whats the prob?

# 2 > one batch says they are c. baccatum and the other c. annum which is it??

please help if you can

thanks your friend Joe

I'm growing some of these, and they seem to be very slow growers and don't start so easy.

I tried in rockwool cubes, and they didn't take.
I tried in peat blocks, and they didn't take.

Eventually I tried some direct in some soil, and took almost a month to come up.

This was what I planted them into, as you can see, 17th of November 2011 they went in.
DSC_9719.jpg

This is what they look like today.
DSC_9977.jpg

Very small compared to the others that were planted at the same time. Probably a 10th of the size they're so small.

thanks from the look of the babies there annum

thanks if any one can add anything let me

thanks your friend Joe

Hey Joe,

I happen to be in Cobán at the moment until September. I am trying out growing my first chili plants since being here (cobaneros and 7pot?), but I definitely plan to bring seeds back to NJ to try in northern climes next season, too. I'll ask around about these cobanero varieties here, and I'll let you know if I can find out anything useful or identify the fastest starting varieties to bring north. There is really nothing quite like a cobanero in terms of flavor in my opinion...but maybe I'm just biased because this is like a second home for me and that stuff seems to go in everything around here.

I grew them last year, they are annuum. I wasn't too impressed with the flavor, but they were in a spot that didn't get a lot of sun. Maybe they would have better flavor with more sun, or maybe they're better used dried?

joe,
I grew two different chiles last year named cobanero, one was just called cobanero, it was definately an annuum, pendant pods and ok flavor, the other was called cobanero mayan love and looked to be a baccatum upright little heart shaped blood red pods w/ very nice flavor, the baccatum(?) took over a month to germinate and was very late season, the annuum germinated in like 10 days and was kinda mid season. the baccatum looking one was well worth the wait though very nice flavor. hope this helps
paul

I've seen those on the Native Seeds/SEARCH website. They look compelling to me—I almost never see chiles from Guatemala. According to the description, they are normally smoked over a wood fire. The photo from the site is none too good—

Coban.jpg

I grew them last year, they are annuum. I wasn't too impressed with the flavor, but they were in a spot that didn't get a lot of sun. Maybe they would have better flavor with more sun, or maybe they're better used dried?

I don't know anyone around here who eats the fresh chili. It is always dried and made into either paste or powder. It has a very smoky (without being smoked), earthy flavor and packs heat somewhere between a jalapeño and a habanero. I would definitely recommend trying some dried, mashed, mixed with water until it becomes a kind of runny paste.

I grew this last year and found the taste to be unusual but interesting fresh. The plant volunteered to come back this year so I will be sure and dry some pods for powder. The paste sounds very neat too! Thanks Xiwan!

Gary, or anybody, I would be happy to send you some pods or seeds when they arrive. My plant is a C. annuum. Tapered one inch long red orange pods.

Mike

I don't know anyone around here who eats the fresh chili. It is always dried and made into either paste or powder. It has a very smoky (without being smoked), earthy flavor and packs heat somewhere between a jalapeño and a habanero. I would definitely recommend trying some dried, mashed, mixed with water until it becomes a kind of runny paste.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Unfortunately I planted them in a spot that didn't get much sun because of a very late leafing black walnut tree, so the yield was very low and I didn't have many to experiment with.

Back