• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Maybe a problem? And a question.

Hi Guys,

The problem is (if you want to call it that) I planted 1 seed per cup and as you can see, I got 2 plants from 1 seed. That's fine but
here's my question, as you can see in the second photo, there's nubs at the base, are those root nubs? If so, could I cut these
and just put them in water for the roots nubs to sprout? And then I would have 2 seperate plants?

Thanks

DSCN1532.jpg

DSCN1533.jpg

Not an expert but what if you repotted it into a larger pot with more soil (covering the root extrusions), wait until they matured then splice them from each other ? Either way, seeing it was one seed that's quite a mutant you've got there !

PS, are you sure it wasn't two seeds stuck together (like two pringles in a snug fit) ? The biology doesn't really add up as there seems to be two sets of cotyledon leaves.

I'm not sure, I remember planting only 1 seed. Maybe they were like "Snug Fit Pringles" lol, that would explain why they're so close together. Would being that close hurt them if I let them mature like that? Could I just put wet cotton balls around the base till the roots sprout?

I have had one occasion that one seed birthed two plants. very uncommon but has happened to other members as well.
They are growing pretty close together and separating them could cause damage. If it is not absolutely necessary to separate them, then I would let them grow as they are and put them into a larger pot. If you absolutely need to grow a separate plant then I would chop one at the base and grow one as you originally intended.

If its a double sprout.. Just keep it together, the plant will work around itself, I have a double out back and it just grows the larger branches to the outside were the sun gets it... The inner branches are tiny...

As its only tiny, If you want a solo,, Lop off one side and let it single grow :drooling:

Plant them both just as they are in a large pot. Bury them all the way to the cotyledons. Those advantitious roots will help them thrive.

And since they have advantitious roots, you could even cut one off at soil level and plant it in damp soil. Since it already has roots, you can skip the water or rooting hormone.

Back