• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Maybe cross pollination can change pods??

ajdrew said:
The_NorthEast_Chiliman - OP.  Third sentence.  "People who favor science to folklore say that is impossible."

The point is that until just a few years ago,they believed wrong about animal placenta.  So folk are speculating, they are questioning, if maybe they got it wrong with plants.

My god man, you are like the Smoking Man at a UFO convention. Speculation can not be wrong because speculation is not a statement.

Speculation is good. Theory is good. An open mind is good. Advances in science is good. Your title, Maybe cross pollination can change pods??, infers that cross pollination will change this years crop raises the question that I feel my posts address.

Purporting (Inferring?) that some new finding, "Now that was the thinking in animals, not plants.  But guess what?  Yep, science changed its mind in 2013.",  has changed the game on this issue and I was expressing my opinion on the matter. Adding to my first four sentences in this post, opinions are good, discussions are good and different viewpoints are good.

On Pluto? The jury is still out IMO no matter what the International Astronomical Union (IAU) says.

_84232167_84232166.jpg

Capping years of intense debate, astronomers resolved today to demote Pluto in a wholesale redefinition of planethood that is being billed as a victory of scientific reasoning over historic and cultural influences. But already the decision is being hotly debated.

Officially, Pluto is no longer a planet.

Of course, things change...

Will Pluto become a planet again? It turns out that experts are still flummoxed on what the downgraded planet’s correct classification should be.

The Christian Science Monitor reports that the International Astronomical Union’s decision in 2006 to demote Pluto to a dwarf planet is being looked at a second time.

As it currently stands, NASA’s New Horizons mission has another element of confusion. Pluto is in a category its own but is neither a comet nor a planet.

Readings obtained from a spacecraft’s flyby in July 2015 were revealed this week in the Journal of Geophysical Research. The files illustrate that Pluto’s interaction with the solar wind is unlike anything they’ve witnessed in our solar system before.

YMMV....... :)

Your were expressing an opinion by stating it as fact.  Now you are trying to impress us with fancy words.  Throw a bunch of reference to Pluto because I made a joke about it.  OK, have fun with that.

Tarzan said:
Two Red Bull's Horn pepper flowers hopefully pollinated. I'll see in a few days, hopefully they are going to grow. If - when they do, I'll get it to fully ripe and try it myself. Then I'll take two identical parts of self pollinated and "hot crossed" to my dad and see if he can figure out anything. I'll save the seeds of any possible successful crossing, grow it next year somewhere isolated from any other pepper and see what happens.

Practically all the peppers on that plant are identical, if the crossing somehow affects the placental tissue and/or visual appearance of the pod, I think I should notice.

PS: I am a nay sayer as well.  :shh:

Agree to this approach. A DNA test of the pod tissue would be the final proof. Testing is so much better than speculation.

Have done lots of intentional crosses, and none of the crossed pods have turned any different than the normal range of the mother plant. A chili plant can have quite a big range of heat levels and pod shapes even without cross pollination.

Back