misc Mayo based sauce

I haven't bottled for packaging however I have made my own wasabi mayo. A 16oz. jar usually doesn't last long enough to go bad. Several here on THP have done their take on Baconaisse with excellent results. Hopefully some will chime in.

And welcome G-dogs!

Salute',TB.

I'm sorry. I am trying to make it shelf stable for marketing. I would like to be able to do it myself but if its to complicated or to expensive I would let someone else do it. I do have access to a commissary.

georgiadogs said:
Thats the whole reason for asking in the first place. I have some sauces that I have been playing around with for a while that I believe will market well.

That is kind of my point. It is really easy to play around with sauces - I do it every week. I usually eat the within 24 hours. If i wanted to sell them I would learn about preservation first, then work from that to get the taste I wanted.

He was curious as to the problems people have encountered making mayo. This won't help him in creating shelf stable product.

He needs to understand the food make up and see what needs to be done.

Bradh728 said:
He was curious as to the problems people have encountered making mayo. This won't help him in creating shelf stable product.

He needs to understand the food make up and see what needs to be done.

OK. That was what I was trying to say - sort of. I thought you where bashing me;)

You might be able to find a vendor that sells mayo in bulk that you may mix yourself. The thing with mayo in the old days was spoilage due to the egg/oil mix. Not near as bad these days. The other thing will be having a stable emulsion. Separation of the product can occur with mayo based products. Sterile environment goes without saying. One easy way to find out is to take some store bought mayo. Mix in your product ingredients and then jar it up and put it in the fridge. Simply leave it there and check on it now and then to get an idea how quickly it deteriorates and breaks down. You could also email some of the gourmet mayo producers and simply ask them. Most of the small guys I'm sure could fill you in on the ins and outs and the difficulties or lack thereof involved.

Salute', TB.

Just as a friendly tip, mayo is a better preservative and spoils less quickly then vinegar. If you remember the old wives tale about not eating potato salad or any other mayo based salad at a picnic because of the 'spoilage'. 100 years ago perhaps, but in truth, mayo will last longer on the shelf, and in the open, that is if you have the correct preservation process.

Like the others said, try using a ready made mayo and add your ingredients. You may come to find out in the long run that it may also be the more cost effective then making from scratch.

But once you open the mayo it is not shelf stable anymore. Is there some sort of gas that they put in before sealing to eliminate refridgeration? And I am using store bought mayo, would not attempt to make my own, unless I need to that is.

georgiadogs said:
But once you open the mayo it is not shelf stable anymore. Is there some sort of gas that they put in before sealing to eliminate refridgeration? And I am using store bought mayo, would not attempt to make my own, unless I need to that is.

The common gas used it any is just a simple nitrous(however its spelled) flush.

Back