• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Meatpacking: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

Sadly most of these "industries" abuse humans in some form or other to drive prices down. While meat packing is close to home, exactly the same thing can be said of people making clothes in some other country that are then shipped over here. Same for Amazon packers and delivery workers - in order to keep prices low, they are forced to work in conditions that have no allowance for exceptions - barely time to have a bathroom break. Netflix was the same when they were in the DVD mailing business - their staff were expected to unpack and pack DVDs into those red envelopes at an incredible pace.

We all just turn a blind eye to this. For there to be change, there first needs to be awareness and then action. At least John Oliver is doing the first bit.

Siv said:
Sadly most of these "industries" abuse humans in some form or other to drive prices down.  Same for Amazon packers and delivery workers - in order to keep prices low, they are forced to work in conditions that have no allowance for exceptions - barely time to have a bathroom break. Netflix was the same when they were in the DVD mailing business - their staff were expected to unpack and pack DVDs into those red envelopes at an incredible pace.

I don't want to get into a beef with you Siv but I have a question or two. The very first is, if the workload or working conditions are so horrendously bad why not move on to a better employer? The second is, Is the U.S. Department of Labor an ineffective branch of the US Government to watch over those they're paid to protect? And last is, should I believe printed material like -  worker abuse—horrific, inhuman worker abuse—does occur in the US, and it’s more prevalent than you think. -?

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

I don't want to get into a beef with you Siv but I have a question or two. The very first is, if the workload or working conditions are so horrendously bad why not move on to a better employer? The second is, Is the U.S. Department of Labor an ineffective branch of the US Government to watch over those they're paid to protect? And last is, should I believe printed material like -  worker abuse—horrific, inhuman worker abuse—does occur in the US, and it’s more prevalent than you think. -?

No "beef" for me, I don't eat meat!

I wrote a long reply but I just deleted it. I came here to talk about peppers so shouldn't really be injecting myself into discussions that are not relevant and I kick myself for doing that in this thread. I can argue plenty with my wife, no need to do it online also :)

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

The very first is, if the workload or working conditions are so horrendously bad why not move on to a better employer? 

I don't enjoy political arguments either; I just don't understand why people think this is a workable solution. Who's going to do the jobs no one wants that are so poorly compensated? 

Reminds me of something I read the other day about the NM chile growers: they can't get people to harvest their peppers cheaply enough, so they aren't growing as many now. The end game of everyone "moving on to a better employer" is that certain jobs just don't get done.

I mean, when the choice is no NM chiles vs expensive NM chiles, the latter is still the better option IMHO.  :D

Back