• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake Medicinal uses for pepper powders..??

So much juju in the hot chiles! The first one I learned as a tot was for scrapes/cuts. A couple taps of powdered capsaicin on a razor cut, a scrape...clots it right up. Let it dry, blot it it with a warm, wet cloth, and boom....it's golden. All juju-ed up. (and why my family calls me the witch doctor!  hahaha)

Delighted to find i'm wrong about the nasal spray, especially since i have mild sinus trouble myself. And a little astonished !

But i'm more confident about my predictions regarding eyedrops and suppositories....

What sort of snappy, chic marketing name would any forum members suggest for a 500,000 SHU eyedrop patent medicine ?

...Aaaand what hemorrhoid sufferer, however desperate and mad with pain, could be induced to purchase a product named
"Butt-Bhut" ??
...Or "Bhut In The Arse" ?!?

I don't think I would like trying pepper eye drops and for hemorrhoids i think I would forgo the treatment which you could call Puckerbutt hemorhiod bhut scream.
I have heard that capsaicin can be used to treat enlarged prostate problems, but it would be a cold day in hell before I would let a doctor swab my prostate with some hot pepper oil. I think that it gets enough oil from the peppers I eat anyway.

Hawaiianero said:
 The burn felt sooooooo good compared to the throbbing of the tooth. It pretty much numbed the tooth for at least an hour or so.

Some cultures (Japanese, I think) have been known to use burning charcoal or incense as a counterirritant for pain. I like the idea of using a pepper much more. No permanent damage. Plus, I bet certain peppers can inflict as much if not more pain than fire.

wildseed57 said:
I make my own saline, capsaicin nasal spray/wash that really helps clear the sinus congestion. I use my very finely ground super hot pepper powder for this,  you have to work out just how much salt (sea salt) and pepper powder you can use without having your nose burnt off . A tiny bit of powder and salt goes a long way, and even then it takes some time to get use to it first few uses it usually burns some, if you get to much hot pepper powder you will know it, also I make it fresh each time.

I have heard of people snorting the powder straight, but I would not recommend this unless you want to fry your sinus and brain.
I use my powder on just about everything and find that i have fewer if any colds while using it, I also use a lot of fresh super hots in most of my food although I just use small amounts.

Good to hear. I was going to try to come up with a recipe using trial and error. I have looked and I don't think the nasal spray I mentioned earlier is still being made. Care to share your recipe? I was thinking about making a tincture of dried Reapers in Ambur vodka or Everclear and then diluting that in buffered saline.

dash 2 said:
   Good to hear. I was going to try to come up with a recipe using trial and error. I have looked and I don't think the nasal spray I mentioned earlier is still being made. Care to share your recipe? I was thinking about making a tincture of dried Reapers in Ambur vodka or Everclear and then diluting that in buffered saline.

Whoah, salted everclear reapers? You could just take that in a shot class and I bet it would clear up any sinus problem. :fireball:

^Ha! I think we're on to something here.
     The more I think about it the more I like your idea. Along with helping make the tooth's pain more manageable, I bet the inflammation and other cellular responses triggered by the pepper might help fight the infection. Increased blood flow and white blood cells, increased temperature. It would be like a mini hot-pack.
     And the Everclear infusion I'd be making would be way to strong to ingest. (Responsibly. :mouthonfire: ) I want the tincture to be so concentrated that it only takes a drop or two to "heat up" 8 oz. of saline.

One thing for sure if you used to much tincture you would know it right away i would just use a small drop in one or two ounces of saline water. i have been using about a 1/8 of a gram of hot pepper powder with about 1oz of saline water maybe a bit more powder.
a friend of mine soaked some of my dried 7 pot barrackpore in some Vodka to make some hot shots he won't do that again the stuff looked like a reddish cherry colored vodka but it was so hot you could strip paint off a steel plate with it, between the two of us we just about choked to death and went through a gallon of milk and full package of heart burn tabs, just thinking about it makes my mouth hurt, god was that stuff bad. i still have some that I use it to take the itch out of bug bites and swab a bit on arthritic knuckle joints. diluted with water you could kill aphids with it.  

Thanks, wildseed. Now I think I have a place to start. And thanks for taking one for the team for R&D purposes! No way am I trying an Ambur vodka / Reaper shot! I get a lot of pain in my hands from a pinched nerve in my back. I'm going to try the alcohol tincture on them, too.

When I started my hot pepper fun & games I came across this website on medicinal uses of hot peppers.  I would think the powders would give us all these benefits too.

http://ushotstuff.com/medical.htm

It sure had me thinking and now I use hot pepper powder every single day.

I find some hot peppers significantly improve my arthritic joints. Other hot peppers seem to have no effect. The
benefits do not seem to be correlated with the heat of the pepper: some fairly hot peppers so nothing, and some
pretty mild ones like fresno or some jalapenos really help. I am actually quite amazed at how much better my joints feel with the peppers: an added bonus to eating something I like to eat anyway.
Renais

Super Hots etc. do nothing to stop Lymphoms B Cancer - now stage 3.
I was diagnosed LONG after I used Peppers on a daily basis for years.
I've eaten supers since early or mid 2000 on a daily basis.
Ate peppers/Habs. long before 2000,on a daily basis.

Most studies are misrepresented.

Lab/test tube stuff isn't close to eating peppers as a dietary thing.

Yes pure stuff in a test tube might kill cancer cells.Not in humans or?

I know a lot of people who use different stuff for arthritis or whatever.
It seems to help in some cases but when used on a daily basis it is a toss up between a cure and more hassle than it's worth (skin problems etc.).

I think more studies need to be done.
What is the active ingredient in hots that does whatever,if anything.
I'd think I'd start with whatever pepper contains the most different types of cap.

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't how hot a pepper is,but whatever it was in the pepper that caused the cap. to do whatever cure.

These last entries are fascinating.
I use Capsicum chinense fruits to manage neuropathic pain. C. Annuum just doesn't work as well. Different species,.... perhaps different strains within a species... work differently.

Capsicum pubescens has the most distinctively different capsaicinoid profile. Worth investigating.

Back