• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Meet Otis

A Chinese 5-color plant I brought to my office. I have no idea if it will ever fruit, or not. Also don't know if the office fluorescents will be enough to keep it from getting leggy (no window). But, I thought he looked like an Otis. He's about 2 months old, seed to soil. Just brought him to the office this week, potted up from a cup this past weekend.

otis.jpg

it may get a little tall and leggy but it will most likely fruit, but wont be as prolific as it would under proper condition, you might do it some good by getting an LED plant bulb, they work well and dont use much energy, it should improve things some

thanks your fiend joe

Hi Otis!

I too want to grow Tabasco peppers and I have the seeds, but im not sure if its too late to start them. I really wanna plant some seeds though! Keep us updated!

it may get a little tall and leggy but it will most likely fruit, but wont be as prolific as it would under proper condition, you might do it some good by getting an LED plant bulb, they work well and dont use much energy, it should improve things some

thanks your fiend joe
Thanks, Joe. Great idea. I hadn't even considered supplemental lighting. I'll see what I can find for a small, freestanding LED.
nice and do what ever joe thinks will help he is like the master pepper guru
Thanks, and definitely agree.
Hi Otis!

I too want to grow Tabasco peppers and I have the seeds, but im not sure if its too late to start them. I really wanna plant some seeds though! Keep us updated!

Never too late to start if you can grow sprouts/small plants indoors over the winter. It seems you'll be that much ahead when Spring comes in 2013! I just discovered this hobby earlier this year, so my first seeds hit soil July 2nd. Way too late for a productive year, this year. But raising those sprouts, plus the purchased plants I have, has taught me tons to apply for next year. For now I'm shaping up my list and will probably start sowing seeds for next year in December, as our last frost is early to mid Februrary.

Regarding Otis, I'll keep the updates coming. ;)

nice and do what ever joe thinks will help he is like the master pepper guru

your too funny Tyler!! ;)

thanks

Peppers will fruit in office lighting?

And here I am with a twig of bamboo in a vase like a sucker!
i did say might get fruit, its hard to say for sure, annums tend to be very resilient, so i would not put it past old Otis if he/she would have little fruit

under the right condition Chinese 5 color are very very prolific and beautiful!!

thanks your friend joe

Cool idea.

I have some fataliis just sprouting at the moment, maybe I'll pot one of them up in a fancier pot and take it to the office to keep me company by the window.

Here's a little update. It's been about three weeks since I brought this plant into my office. It has grown about an inch. I got a desklamp for it, with a 23 watt CFL (5000 K, 1350 lumens). It had one bud that has died off, but two more small ones forming.

otiswithlight.jpg

otisgrowing.jpg

That new light looks like its helping. he should be much taller than that for 2 months

Also get that cfl as close a possible. Way to judge though place hand right on top of plant. If the light burns you it will burn the plant. So raise the light till your hand wont burn ;-)

That new light looks like its helping. he should be much taller than that for 2 months

Also get that cfl as close a possible. Way to judge though place hand right on top of plant. If the light burns you it will burn the plant. So raise the light till your hand wont burn ;-)

Yeah, I have another one the same age in my back yard about twice the height and has four pods, two open flowers and about 10 buds! I've only had the light for about a week, and I think over half of the growth has been in the last week.

Thanks for the tip!

Yes sir. CFLs loose a lot of lumens quickly. So they need to be as close as possible. If you have a mini desk fan you could put that cfl pretty damn close and have the fan blowing on it to cool it.

I have plenty of experience with CFLs

Hi Otis!

I have some tabascos mixed in with about 40 odd plants from Bells to Morugas and to be honest, they taste the worst of any I have. Really bad and nothing like that infamous sauce...
I think the vinegar and aging has more to do with the taste of the sauce.
Just my opinion but I'd grow something ...else....if it's to eat. They do look cool for ornamentals though.

I think the light really helped. Grown a few inches and flowering. Will be interesting to see if it actually forms peppers!

otis123.jpg

Back