• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Megamoo's 2012/2013 Glog

I'm in a new house with much more space, better sheltered areas for plants and hopefully less disease in the environment. Unless I win the lottery and buy myself a mansion I'm good to stay here for a long time. The landlord knows about and is cool with the fluorescent light grow setups in the garage, and is happy for me to transform the outside into a chilli jungle. All signs point to a good season ahead.

Winter has just begun, and I've got the germinating and growing on stations setup. Chilli seeds are in the post flying to my door.

This is the current seed list I have to choose from, including varieties ordered but yet to arrive.

7 Pot Brainstrain
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Amarillo
Aji Cristal
Aji Lemon
Aji Panca
Aji Pineapple
Anaheim
Antillais Caribbean
Aribibi Gusano
Baccio De Satana
Bahamian Bird Pepper
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Beni Highlands
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia x Habanero White Giant
Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta De Neyde
Big Jim
Bih Jolokia
Bishop's Crown
Black Prince
Blondie
Brazillian Pumpkin
Brazillian Starfish
Burke's Backyard Thai Chilli
Capsicum Californian Wonder
Capsicum Giant Bell
Capsicum Hungarian Yellow Wax Hot
Capsicum Sweet Banana
CGN 21469
Chihuacle Negro
Chilaca Pasilla
Chilli Cayenne Gold
Chilli Cayenne Red
Chilli Costa Rica
Chilli Habanero Red
Chilli Jalapeno
Chilli Poblano
Cochiti
Congo Brown
Corno Di Torro Rossi
Datil
Datil x Lemon
Dorset Naga
Douglah
Earbob
Early Jalapeno
Explosive Ember
Fatalii
Filipino Bell Pepper
Fresno
Giant Jalapeno
Goatsweed
Guampinha De Veado
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Peach
Habanero Red
Hot Cherry
Hot Fish
Hot Pepper
Hot Wax
Hungarian Black
Jalapeno
Jalapeno Tam
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet
Jimmy Nardello
Joe's Long
Joker's Hat
Limo Blanco
Magnum Habanero
Manzano Amarillo
Maraca
Mystery Pepper
Naga Jolokia Purple
Naga Morich
Nagabon
Numex Twilight
Orange Habanero
Orange Lantern
Peppadew
Peruvian White Habanero
Peter Pepper Orange
Peter Pepper Red
Pimenta De Neyde
Pimenta Di Bico
Piquillo
Purple Tiger
Pusa Jwala
Red Hot Cherry
Rocoto Peru Bitumi
Scotch Bonnet TFM
Serrano
Siling Labuyo
Tabasco
Takanotsume
Thai Cayenne
Thai Orange
Thai Prik Mann
Thai Yellow
Topaz Chilli
Trinidad 7Pot Jonah
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion (stingerless)
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Uyababa
Vietato
Wasp
White Labuyo
Wild Tepin
Zapotec Jalapeno

Many of these are just one or two seeds leftover from old stock and I won't be planting everything. A lot of the ornamentals will be getting just one plant. I'm might still get some more 7pots and superhot varieties.

The garden beds need a little work, and retic needs to be sorted but I've got a few months to do that. I'll post pictures when I have them.

It's those white butterfly/moth things they land for a second and lay an egg.
They're everywhere, they like my basil and swiss chard too :hell:

And broccoli.... they love broccoli! They didn't touch my chillies at all when there was broccoli growing here.

Nice, Moo! Its so addicting to sow the seeds and see the little guys pop. I can totally relate to sowing more than you might have room for. But you'll make room, right? ;)

Just looked over your grow list. I see you're growing the Beni Highland, too. Have you grown this one before? I bought some seeds from Aji Joe and asked him to give me few surprises. One of them was Beni Highland. I Googled it and seems like a cool variety. There are a couple of others in your list that I'd like to add: Big Jim and Paprika. If some of my varieties don't pop or die unsighly early deaths, I'll probably put these two in my list.

Great grow you have coming together there!

Hey, MM, great grow going there! The starts and seedlings
look just great - very healthy. I like the inquiry approach you
took with testing your soil mixes, etc; great science! Will look
forward to long winter nights browsing your glog, and the
others from down under!

Hope your weekend is a great one!

And broccoli.... they love broccoli! They didn't touch my chillies at all when there was broccoli growing here.
Isn't that a cold weather crop? I've thought about growing a crop they like just so they eat it and not my chillies but that might lure in more and make more.

Nice, Moo! Its so addicting to sow the seeds and see the little guys pop. I can totally relate to sowing more than you might have room for. But you'll make room, right? ;)

Just looked over your grow list. I see you're growing the Beni Highland, too. Have you grown this one before? I bought some seeds from Aji Joe and asked him to give me few surprises. One of them was Beni Highland. I Googled it and seems like a cool variety. There are a couple of others in your list that I'd like to add: Big Jim and Paprika. If some of my varieties don't pop or die unsighly early deaths, I'll probably put these two in my list.

Great grow you have coming together there!
Thanks. I think my friends and relatives will be revceiving plants for Christmas.

First time growing Beni Highland. Grown Big Jim before though. Even half neglected in a small pot I got some nice big pods.

Nice glog Megamoo!
Thanks Alphaeon.

Hey, MM, great grow going there! The starts and seedlings
look just great - very healthy. I like the inquiry approach you
took with testing your soil mixes, etc; great science! Will look
forward to long winter nights browsing your glog, and the
others from down under!

Hope your weekend is a great one!
The starts are doing better than my previous seasons at this age so I'm happy with that.
My job for today is to pull all the experimental plants and reclaim the pots. Then got to pot up the good ones and mow the lawn and really can't be fuct right now. Going to have to force myself to do it.
I didn't hit on a winning soil mix with the experiment but I sure did learn what not to do! Was definitely worth it.

I'll try to get some good poddage to warm things up for ya. :)

"I didn't hit on a winning soil mix with the experiment but I sure did learn what not to do!"

In the science of life, that is often the most important thing of all!

I noticed your starts in the smaller pots in some cases had more growth
above than the larger. I see that all the time as well. I'm sure that when
a plant is rootbound, it directs its energy to the vegetative growth since
there isn't room to grow more roots easily.

It will be fun watching your grow take off!

"I didn't hit on a winning soil mix with the experiment but I sure did learn what not to do!"

In the science of life, that is often the most important thing of all!

I noticed your starts in the smaller pots in some cases had more growth
above than the larger. I see that all the time as well. I'm sure that when
a plant is rootbound, it directs its energy to the vegetative growth since
there isn't room to grow more roots easily.

It will be fun watching your grow take off!
Yeah when you first pot them up they stall for a short time because they are spreading all their roots out. It's easy to get impatient and think there is something wrong. I've overfed them at that point before.

Just pulled and recycled the test jalapenos and red bhuts. I had stopped watering them a while ago and we've had a week of hot sun so they withered a lot.
Before
mowunpot007.jpg

And after.
mowunpot023.jpg

I learned that the coco coir produces really fluffy spread out root systems. Definitely more root mass in the mix that was 50% coco coir. I have to say that I am becoming a big fan of this stuff. It retains a lot of water but still allows air in. When it does dry out it dries out completely though, whereas regular potting mix keeps its water longer but doesn't let as much air in. For the coco to be effective you have to regularly water it. The ones that were mostly potting mix had long roots circling the pots and less overall root mass.

I can't say I noticed a big difference in the size or quality of the plants except that the very potting soil mix heavy ones were dropping a lot of leaves and looked overwatered. They weren't regularly watered at all so it wasn't a prefect test in the end.

Here are some of the test ones that made it into the ground.
mowunpot020.jpg

mowunpot011.jpg

mowunpot012.jpg

mowunpot013.jpg

mowunpot014.jpg

Despite my earlier post you can tell from its size that this is actually my first pod of the season.
mowunpot017.jpg

I will be reusing the soil and mixing in some blood n bone for potting up basil because it likes a nice rich mix.

different photo cropped
fly.jpg

There are tons of bugs in the garden, I try not to let it bother me. Of course now I'm ALARMED :shocked:

I dunno... I could be wrong!

The markings are more of that of a Queensland fruit fly than the Mediterranean fruit flies you guys have. Could be a cucumber fly though? Do you know if you guys get them there?

(Or of course, it could just be a completely harmless fly of some sort! ;))

Show it to pablo, he might be able to tell you. He's had experience with fruit flies there.

Megamoo, your in-ground test plants look absolutely mahvelous, dahling!
Very green and bushy. If the rest of your grow gets off to that good of a start,
you will be crawling through a forest of pepper trees!

As for the fly did you do a google image search? Regular fruit flies are not
much of a problem, they lay their eggs on rotting fruit. But I've heard the
Med Fruit Fly can be very damaging. Do you have pepper maggot flies down
there? We have them in the Southern U.S. Very destructive. Lay their eggs
so the larvae grow up inside the pepper, eating and excreting in it :sick: Disgusting.

so the larvae grow up inside the pepper, eating and excreting in it :sick: Disgusting.

QLD and Med fruit flies and cucumber flies do the same thing. Nasty business! Lost roughly 3/4 of my pods last season to QLD fruit fly. :(

I dunno... I could be wrong!

The markings are more of that of a Queensland fruit fly than the Mediterranean fruit flies you guys have. Could be a cucumber fly though? Do you know if you guys get them there?

(Or of course, it could just be a completely harmless fly of some sort! ;))

Show it to pablo, he might be able to tell you. He's had experience with fruit flies there.
I'm going to hope its completely harmless fly. I got in big trouble last time I showed my fly to people, I'd better not.

Megamoo, your in-ground test plants look absolutely mahvelous, dahling!
Very green and bushy. If the rest of your grow gets off to that good of a start,
you will be crawling through a forest of pepper trees!

They do look good. I hadn't noticed how much they've grown. (I sound like a proud parent ;) )

My first and only bhut jolokia pod was from a small plant late in the season and it had a maggot in it. :(

I didn't really consider pest control in my initial plan for this season, except for the traditional Australian "Ahhhh.... she'll be right" ;) If things get out of hand I will probably get some good bugs in before I spray anything.

I'll second what Paul said, above. Those look awesome for "test subjects!"
Thanks I'd like to say its from everything I did but really they have done exceptionally well considering I just stuck them in the regular sandy dirt and have watered them every other day.

QLD and Med fruit flies and cucumber flies do the same thing. Nasty business! Lost roughly 3/4 of my pods last season to QLD fruit fly. :(

Earlier in the year in Autumn the Mandarin tree in the front yard was overloaded with fruit and there was a whole lot on the ground rotting but there were no flies around at all. I spent some time picking them off the tree and off the ground but didn't see anything. Good sign!

The last pictures were the good.

These are the bad.

Overwintered numex twilight I think is infested with mites.
goodbadugly005.jpg

goodbadugly007.jpg

The newest leaves looked a bit deformed so I pruned it back and since then the growth has stopped dead, with the ends going all scrunched up.

Sitiing next to it are a few others with have the narrow messed up leaves. You can see the dodgy leaves on the right one here.
goodbadugly018.jpg

If its mites I'm quite happy to toss these plants. Really not worth battling it with all my other plants going to come in soon.

Now for some ugly pictures.

I might have mentioned in this thread or another the rose bushes in the front garden have a small aphid problem.
goodbadugly014.jpg

goodbadugly011.jpg

goodbadugly015.jpg

I had pruned these back a few weeks ago because they were out of control and this is all new growth. The evil things really like it!

As I'm not looking to grow roses for any reason they are coming out. The last owner/tenant of this house obviously spent a lot of time working on this garden. There is retic and gravel mulch and vines trained to grow along the fence. There was a pond / water feature, a big hedge of rosemary and the roses were obviously the centre point of the garden and designed to be seen from the road. I'm sure it was really perdy.

Well... the bitch is mine now and most of that crap is coming out to make way for Chilli World :D

Put a new fence up and created some garden space in the last two days. :)

Old crappy leaning fence
mowunpot005.jpg

Took it down.
fence003.jpg

fence004.jpg

Feeling a bit exposed.
fence006.jpg

New fence :D
fence013.jpg

fence014.jpg

They go up so fast and easy it's like playing with lego :P

Significant increase in space along the top of the wall.
fence017.jpg

fence018.jpg

I was going to have a row of pots along here but now I'll dig in some manure and compost and plant straight into it. It gets sun all day so pots would have heated up too much.
Also I'll be able to get a full load of dirt in the ute and then just unscrew a few panels of the fence and shovel it straight into the bed. Otherwise I'd have to fill a wheelbarrow, push it to under the wall and then have to lift it up!

Geez Louise... look at them aphids! :eek:

Are the aphids actually making it to your chillies or are they happy to just infest the roses? If they're just hanging on the roses, I would leave the roses in the ground and use 'em as a trap plant and just bomb the crap outta 'em every week or so. Getting rid of the aphids favourite host might just cause 'em to seek another. ;)

If there was something broad mite preferred to chillies, I would certainly be planting it for that reason. Apparently capsicum might just be their uber favourite though. :banghead:

I am going to look into whitefly's favourite host though.... :think:

Sitiing next to it are a few others with have the narrow messed up leaves. You can see the dodgy leaves on the right one here.
goodbadugly018.jpg

If its mites I'm quite happy to toss these plants. Really not worth battling it with all my other plants going to come in soon.

Does look like mite damage. Own a gas torch or something....? :flamethrower: ;)

The new fence looks awesome. Built like a boss! Good thinking leaving a few feet of exposed dirt along that retaining wall. I'm agreeing with Gassy about possibly leaving the aphids a distraction, keeping them off your chile plants?

Geez Louise... look at them aphids! :eek:

Are the aphids actually making it to your chillies or are they happy to just infest the roses? If they're just hanging on the roses, I would leave the roses in the ground and use 'em as a trap plant and just bomb the crap outta 'em every week or so. Getting rid of the aphids favourite host might just cause 'em to seek another. ;)

If there was something broad mite preferred to chillies, I would certainly be planting it for that reason. Apparently capsicum might just be their uber favourite though. :banghead:

I am going to look into whitefly's favourite host though.... :think:

Does look like mite damage. Own a gas torch or something....? :flamethrower: ;)
On the complete opposite side of the house from the aphid rose party is the table with my eldest seedlings. Its actually much closer to my neighbour's garden. When I was scouting for the &*%#*^$ catepillars eating holes in my leaves I found the odd aphid. Always just one on its own, naturally I squished them. But last time I looked I only found one aphid and a few zombie aphids. So the natural predators are patrolling well.

I'm torn between nuking the crap out of the roses to cull the aphid numbers and get some satisfaction or leaving them alone until I rip out the bushes. If I use posion on them I might kill the good bugs and leave my chillies open to attack. From what I have seen aphids can bounce back and multiply much quicker from a spraying than the good bugs. You're right that if I get rid of the roses the aphids my seek another home.

I'm fairly confident that the roses are the largest and main aphid population in my garden. If I get rid of them when I pull the roses I might deal them a big death blow which they won't be able to easily recover from, (crossing my fingers!) So I'm going to leave it all until next week when I'll cut the infested branches off and seal them in bags in the bin before pulling out all the bushes.

I'll do the same with mite plants.

The new fence looks awesome. Built like a boss! Good thinking leaving a few feet of exposed dirt along that retaining wall. I'm agreeing with Gassy about possibly leaving the aphids a distraction, keeping them off your chile plants?
I'm well chuffed with the fence :D We set up the line from the council plans and realised the old fence was put down slightly off, or it had subsided as well as leant right over. So the new fence has reclaimed a bit of useless verge land :) Its not much but it allows me to now do a double row of chillies!

...and that's what I did today.
Got some manure and compost and dug it in then transplanted 33 chillies.
graduation008.jpg

graduation002.jpg

The late afternoon sun made taking a good photo hard but you get the idea.
Here's a wide shot and my little one hiding under his hat being camera shy :P
graduation004.jpg

Very cool retaining wall garden. That should be enough plants to keep your mouth on fire all year long once they mature.

Back