• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Megamoo's Chilli Product Reviews

I very recently had the good fortune to win over $300 worth of chilli products in an online auction organised to help the Queensland flood victims. The companies who donated their products to help the disadvantaged, I believe should be rewarded with some exposure. I will gladly sample all of the products and post reviews in this thread. Special mention should be made of Candice from Wildfire Chilli and Heatseekers Chilli who organised this auction, as well as others, and also donated products to help the flood victims.

I am not an experienced reviewer, nor an experienced consumer of chilli products. These reviews will be from the perspective of the newbie green tongue.

The Prizes to be sampled:
1 x bottle Chill Vodka - RRP $45 - Wild Swan Distillery
6 x shot glasses - RRP- $30 - Wild Swan Distillery
1 x Smokey Jolokia Original - RRP $11.95 - Heatseekers Chilli
1 x Hot Embers - RRP $8.50 - Heatseekers Chilli
1 x Chilli and Garlic Oil - RRP $9 - Sticky Fingers Gourmet Food
1 x Sweet Chilli Salsa - RRP $7 - Sticky Fingers Gourmet Food
1 x Roast Pepper & Chilli Relish - RRP $7 - Sticky Fingers Gourmet Food
1 x Atomic Chilli Relish - RRP $7 - Sticky Fingers Gourmet Food
1 x Jalapeno Harissa - RRP $6 - Sticky Fingers Gourmet Food
1 x Nuclear Harissa - RRP $6 - Sticky Fingers Gourmet Food
1 x Traditional Harissa - RRP $6 - Sticky Fingers Gourmet Food
1 x Chilli Dukkha - RRP $6 - Sticky Fingers Gourmet Food
1 x Zakk Wylde Shot to Hell - RRP $18.75 - Chilli & Spice
1 x Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce - RRP $8 - Karrimah Farm
1 x Chilli pickled Cumquats - RRP $9 - Food Symphony
1 x Lime and Cardamon Chutney - RRP $9 - Food Symphony
1 x Chilli Sting - RRP $10 - Matchett Productions
1 x Chilli Fire - RRP $10 - Matchett Productions

IMG_2617.jpg

The rules for the reviews are: I will consume the product and tell you what I think. I will try to sample the product in it's recommended usage. I will avoid reading any other reviews for the product so I am not biased.

First up is

Hot Embers - RRP $8.50 - Heatseekers Chilli

I spread some pizza sauce on a tortilla, topped it with slices of spanish chorizo sausage and cheese and stuck it under the grill. When the cheese was still bubbling I shook some of the Hot Embers over the top. I used very little and you couldn't even see that it was there.

I started ripping bits of it apart and eating it and could smell the powder but it didn't heat up right away. The burning rose slowly, (possible due to the oil content of the cheese) but as the last piece disappeared my tongue was really stinging around the sides and back and my lips were burning. It caused a lot of drool and stayed hot for a minute or two. Then the heat slowly lessened and the name "Hot Embers" was exactly what it felt like. The humming sensation as the intensity diminished was very pleasant and the flavour and smell was very nice indeed. For using such a small amount it had a lot of impact and the small bottle will last a long time. It has a real flavour and not just "A-bomb your head off" heat.

I had expected heat but it has more. I'll be using this one regularly on `bland for the family food` to make it interesting.

Did all of your chillies move successfully Moo.

The larger ones in pots took it ok, but the small ones I had to take out of the grow cupboard and now they are outside. They get a bit of wind where they are now and the shock has made them drop leaves. I have to build a shadehouse in the back yard to break the wind. They were looking a little sick before they moved as well so I'm expecting some losses. I think I poisoned them with something in their water a week ago. I'll pot up the ones that survive and rinse off their roots.

I will post a review of spicy plum and ginger relish, (which isn't on the list for some reason but it's in the photo) and also sweet chilli sauce and some others soon.

Ok I finally have a minute to do another review, This is the first one of the products I tried and a favourite,

1 x Chilli and Garlic Oil - RRP $9 - Sticky Fingers Gourmet Food
When you open the bottle and take a whiff you can really smell the garlic which I absolutely love! I always want to use garlic in a dish and having it in oil form saves the mess of chopping finely or crushing it fresh. I try to avoid jarred garlic because it is always strongly vinegar, and I end up sneaking a spoonful here and there so it doesn't last long.

The chilli is very subtle and not overpowering. If you want to make a hot dish you will definitely need another chilli source, but that is meant to be subtle and spreads a little chilli sting evenly.

The other serving suggestions on the bottle include brushing over meat for a BBQ and making your own vinaigrette, which I haven't tried yet but I will have a go when I get the chance. I believe the flavours used this way will really stand out.

Although I have used it frequently there is still a lot left in the bottle. I have been using it in place of olive oil, ie. put some in a frying pan before I throw in onions or chicken or mince and I am very happy it. Top marks for just combining Chilli, Garlic and Oil!!

This is the first of a three part review on the Harrissas from Sticky Fingers.

1 x Jalapeno Harissa - RRP $6 - Sticky Fingers Gourmet Food
Jalapeno Harissa (hot chilli paste)

I was a bit tentative because of the warning sticker that says very hot chilli with skull and cross bones. I have tasted the sting of fresh green Jalapenos as well, so I approached this with caution. I tasted it in increasing amounts. I might be getting immune to Chilli but it really isn't that hot. I spread it thickly all over a piece of bread and ate it. The Jalapeno flavour is strong and concentrated but the heat is a warm tingle and not painful burning.

I know it is supposed to be used as a concentrated form of Chilli in recipes but I've been using it like butter or jam and there is not much left now. Very tasty and very addictive. I'm trying to resist eating it all straight so I can use it in more recipes. I stirred it through some pasta and it was really good. The only downside, (and its not a biggy) is there is at lot of oil in the jar, which is the same way as every Harissa I've seen. I think they either use oil to cover the top of it so it isn't exposed to the air, like pesto, or its meant to be like that so it can be spread through stuff. Anyway, you just have to drain off the spoon for a second if you don't want that much oil. The verdict for this one is that its so good I ate it too fast!

1 x Traditional Harissa - RRP $6 - Sticky Fingers Gourmet Food

Traditional Harissa (very hot chilli paste)

Fresh from my easy experience with the Jalapeno Harissa I did the same thing with this one. I spread it on some bread and ate it like that. The heat didn't knock me down this time either. It was very tasty with a regular red chilli taste compared to the green Jalapeno. It doesn't say what chillies are in it, just “red chillies 77%”. It stings hotter than the Jalapeno, and for my mouth it can't be wolfed down in large mouthfulls, it needs to be diluted in a recipe for the real flavour to spread out.

Like before I stirred through some pasta and it was very good. The flavour is like a regular red chilli, like I said before, and for someone who eats a lot of chilli food you should use it as a base and add other flavours like herbs etc. It is hot enough that I can eat a plateful happily but if I go back for seconds I start to get the nose dribble. I don't mind a bit of that tho ;) This jar is really going to last longer than the Jalapeno one, and it has taken the pole position in the door of my fridge.

1 x Nuclear Harissa - RRP $6 - Sticky Fingers Gourmet Food

Nuclear Harissa (intensely hot chilli paste)

After successfully sampling the two other Harrissa offerings with relish I decided that I was some sort of god, now immune to Chilli. When I opened the jar and smelt that painfully familiar Habanero aroma I didn't heed the warning. I spread a decent amount on some bread and casually chomped into it. I quickly started reflex gagging and drooling and burning! This one really deserves the skull and cross bones. NOT A SPREAD FOR BREAD

I'm sure there are lots of people out there who can eat Habanero's all day long with no problem. I'm not one of them... yet. Like it says on the jar this is intensely hot chilli paste! Only a small amount is needed for a large recipe. The first ingredient listed is "Habanero chillies 76%". As you would expect the flavour is strong and distinctly Habanero. I'm still remembering the first tasting episode with a shudder, and can't bring myself to use it in a recipe yet. When I can convince myself to, I'm sure a very small amount in a large dish will be enough to spice it through and I will update this review. I just thought I'd share my pain first. :rofl:

Nice reviews Megamoo. You have a good way of describing things. You should be a reviewer on THP here (well maybe not for the nuclear/extreme stuff, but anything Habanero heat and under until you work your way up) :lol:

Back