food Mega's Chili Vodka Experimentation Blog

So me and Mrs. Mega decided to try making some chili vodkas and cordials this year. I will update this thread periodically with our progress or lack thereof.

Naturally, the best way to get started with any vodka project is a big-a$$ bottle of Stoli.

036-3.jpg

We took that big ‘ole jug of vodka and three 1-quart Mason jars. We made three piles of stuff to put in ‘em – chilis and whatever we could find around the kitchen that looked like it’d be cool in a vodka.

The theory is that we would let it sit in the jars for about 3-4 weeks, with the occasional shake and tumble to get everything mixed up, then strain it through coffee filters twice, and then have some interesting vodka to drink.

OK, so here goes.

Experiment # 1: Apricot-Ginger Orange Habanero Vodka

The raw material:
4 orange habs
zest of two oranges
10 apricots, diced
1” piece of peeled ginger root

to wit:

022-3.jpg

We stuffed all that in a jar and poured stoli all over it, and this is what we got:

044-2.jpg

Experiment # 2: Habanero-Coconut-Lime Vodka

Now, this is really getting into the strike zone of the kind of flavors we like. Here, we took:
1 cup, toasted coconut
zest of 2 limes
2 red habaneros
15 Thai markets – had ‘em laying around getting old, no other reason

017-4.jpg

And yet again, we took great pleasure in dousing it all in stoli, and ended up with this:

045-2.jpg

Experiment # 3: Sort-of-Caribbean Vodka with Almonds

OK, I admit we went a little off the reservation with this one. Thing is, even if it sucks, we’re still going to drink it and get drunk, so that’s worth something.

a bunch of hot paper lanterns
a cup of toasted almonds
½ of a vanilla pod
4 allspice berries

018-4.jpg

In the end, it came out looking kind of cool:

048-1.jpg

OK, so here’s a pic of the final output of the experiment:

041-3.jpg

Now they’re going into storage, and I will update again when there’s some news on them. Will they taste good? Will we get botulism and die? Soon to find out …

Very cool experiment you have going there! Reminds me of some Habanero Wine I bought last week. It is a locally made product and will burn your socks off lol!

I'm trying something similar in very soon. But I'm going to cut a hole in the top of a watermelon that is growing in my back yard, then I'm going to pour a bottle of vodka in it and let it sit for who knows how long. Then I'll pour out and drink the watermelon flavored vodka while I eat the vodka flavored watermelon.

Here is to fun drink-making experiments :beer:

Very cool experiment you have going there! Reminds me of some Habanero Wine I bought last week. It is a locally made product and will burn your socks off lol!

I'm trying something similar in very soon. But I'm going to cut a hole in the top of a watermelon that is growing in my back yard, then I'm going to pour a bottle of vodka in it and let it sit for who knows how long. Then I'll pour out and drink the watermelon flavored vodka while I eat the vodka flavored watermelon.

Here is to fun drink-making experiments :beer:

Yes this is a great method, I put mine in the freezer after soaking for a while and have it slushy style.

Back