media method to buffer coco?

I'm using coco for the first time this year. 

I've hydrated a 5 kg brick, subsequently realized it needs to be buffered and or washed. The 5 kg brick hydrated to just about 18 gallons of media. Using litmus paper I tested the coco in distilled water that looked between 5 and 6 ph.  I have garden lime to add the calcium buffer and raise the ph . I've put in 1 tbsp per gallon of pelletized lawn lime or 1-1/8 cups for the 18 gallons. Trying to move things along between rains here in Ohio. I've added the rest of my mix which is aged pine bark and rice hulls. I'll test the mix but i'm assuming the pelletized lime will need some watering to break down and raise the ph.

My question is how much lime to add? If I raise the ph of my mix to above 6 is that what I should aim for? What is the standard method for calcium buffering Coco? I've read on another forum 2 tbsp per gallon, I started with 1 to see where that would take it.

I'm growing a Big Black Mama this year in coco/perlite. It's posted here in the forum. All I did was soak it in a double-strength CalMag solution for a few hours and rinse. I am using coco nutrients to feed it, and adding a standard amount of additional CalMag per gallon to the mix. I was in Columbus several years back, and went to Indoor Gardens on Indianola Avenue. Really nice hydroponcs store.

Fwiw I've used coco + worm castings for seedlings very successfully for a couple years and never did anything to the coco other than hydrate it. But never done full sized plants in it yet. Recently I decided to try adding calmag first and all the seedlings in it got stunted with burned leaves and twisted growth. I'm guessing i just overdosed the calmag...

But seems so me the buffering isnt that important and apparently dosage is more important than I expected so I'll be either leaving it out or dropping to 1/2 strength in the future...

This site is for growing cannabis in coco but has all the info needed to buffer it and why.
This was inspiring.

Years ago I successfully grew a few chinense in unbuffered coco using some General Hydroponic then switched over late to an organic tea before plantout. Everything came out just as well as my homemade potting soil. @Blister inspired me; check out some some of his old glogs.
j

But seems so me the buffering isnt that important and apparently dosage is more important than I expected so I'll be either leaving it out or dropping to 1/2 strength in the future...

You couldn't be more wrong.

Buffering is important. That's why bagged coco comes pre-buffered. Otherwise, you're playing a guessing game with dosing on the fly, and never really knowing what your media is locking up, vs what your plant is getting. You don't buffer coco once it's planted out. That's pretty much a recipe for disaster. And even if it does work out, it is most likely the difference between a super grow, and a mediocre one.

Buffering serves 2 purposes: 1) it satisfies the high cation exchange of coco, with its propensity to hold onto calcium, magnesium, and iron, in particular, 2) the buffering with calcium displaces excess sodium.

I'm using coco for the first time this year.

I've hydrated a 5 kg brick, subsequently realized it needs to be buffered and or washed. The 5 kg brick hydrated to just about 18 gallons of media. Using litmus paper I tested the coco in distilled water that looked between 5 and 6 ph. I have garden lime to add the calcium buffer and raise the ph . I've put in 1 tbsp per gallon of pelletized lawn lime or 1-1/8 cups for the 18 gallons. Trying to move things along between rains here in Ohio. I've added the rest of my mix which is aged pine bark and rice hulls. I'll test the mix but i'm assuming the pelletized lime will need some watering to break down and raise the ph.

My question is how much lime to add? If I raise the ph of my mix to above 6 is that what I should aim for? What is the standard method for calcium buffering Coco? I've read on another forum 2 tbsp per gallon, I started with 1 to see where that would take it.

I honestly wouldn't mess with pH adjusting that - especially if it's going into a mix. And even more so, if you're going to keep it an organic grow (but still, if it were me, I'd not mess with it, anyway) However, for buffering coco, just use anything with more than 4% calcium, let it soak for an hour, then ***rinse it***. Done. (EDIT: you were supposed to do that before mixing the other stuff in, btw)

I think you'll find that whatever you think is a problem with pH, will go away after you buffer. But remember that you're not buffering coco for pH. You're trying to negate the negative charge of the media, such that it doesn't lock up essential nutrients, or retain salts.

Last edited: