• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

'Mexican chilli pepper'

Hey all.

This was sold as a Mexican pepper written in Japanese, but has the heat and flavour of a Thai.
Anyone know what variety it is?

Cheers!

xRRNLVM.jpg

qBwI6yT.jpg

"Japones"  pronounced Haponaze
in Japan its called Yatsufusa
it is well known, widely grown and used in Mexico
interesting though that it was written in Japanese and not English or Spanish
thanks your friend Joe

My Japones never looked like that.
Pendant pods,much bigger(3 1/2 X 1/2-3/4 in. wide).
The pods were also curved.

I used seeds from dry market pods.

BUT I see people selling a lot of different peppers as Japones - Santaka for one.

I think Japones might be another pepper name that is used for a lot of different peppers...

Google shows Japones as looking like anything from Thai to Cayenne type pods.

I assume since Japones means Japanese,it gives vendors or whatever licence to sell almost any Japanese type pepper as Japones.
A generic name?

Any dry pods seeds I've grown from different brands always grew the same thing,so far.

Chileman says that Japones is from China. :)
Data bases say Japones are 1 1/2 inches long +/-.

I thought that Japones from Mexico were now a pretty much Landrace type thing.Since they have been grown there for so long.
Might explain why Mexican grown seeds are different than a lot/most of the pics on google.
Though the dry pod pics seem to look like the larger pods I get my seeds from...

smokemaster said:
My Japones never looked like that.
Pendant pods,much bigger(3 1/2 X 1/2-3/4 in. wide).
The pods were also curved.

I used seeds from dry market pods.

BUT I see people selling a lot of different peppers as Japones - Santaka for one.

I think Japones might be another pepper name that is used for a lot of different peppers...

Google shows Japones as looking like anything from Thai to Cayenne type pods.

I assume since Japones means Japanese,it gives vendors or whatever licence to sell almost any Japanese type pepper as Japones.
A generic name?

Any dry pods seeds I've grown from different brands always grew the same thing,so far.

Chileman says that Japones is from China. :)
Data bases say Japones are 1 1/2 inches long +/-.

I thought that Japones from Mexico were now a pretty much Landrace type thing.Since they have been grown there for so long.
Might explain why Mexican grown seeds are different than a lot/most of the pics on google.
Though the dry pod pics seem to look like the larger pods I get my seeds from...
 your right about the landrace issue

also im thinking Japones could be a generic term and it my really be hard to tell which is being referred to, just a thought

this species at the top looks alot like another species referred to as "Hot Mexican" of which my friend grows every year but from what i know it is of Japanese origin, it looks like a piri piri or Tabasco type

thanks your friend Joe

I was just thinking (I know,something I should seldom do-it only causes problems...).

Japones looks REALLY similar to Puya.

Plants side by side are different though +/-.

At least the ones in the Mexican Markets here that I grew seeds from.

I wonder if they are sold as each other when dried.

Like red Chile Flakes.
Seeds from the same company at different times grow anything from bird type pods to New Mex. red Chile looking ones.

I'll stop thinking now,I just started work.

having a look at Japones and santaka, i dont know if the description fits - pods look similar, but size doesnt add up. these peppers are less than an inch long and 3 or 4 mm wide..

That was my point,what I've been growing from dry pods is a lot larger than pictured above...
I've never seen Japones that small before.
Not in Mexico or U.S. Mexican markets.

See the above posts about Japone possibly being a generic name and that the Japones I grow might be a landrace Mexican variety rather than a japanese variety that was sold as Generic Japones(japanese) seeds.
Google Japones and you'll see several different peppers called that name...

They are called Japones because the seeds originally came from Japan,but I think there is a Mexican.Landrace version that isn't like what is pictured above.

Yours may be a true Japanese pepper - japones in Spanish - writing on the pack etc.
Not what we get here dried and sold as Japones.
A lot of the dry pods sold here are from Mexico,but distributed through Ca. and Texas packagers for different markets etc.

They look similar to what they called I n okinawa, shima togarashi.... the only plants I saw of them were taller and compact, they didnt branch out much but they could have been trimmed back some.... they ripened from that pale green to a lime green to yellow to orange to red.... and with quite a few pods in the plant, youd see every color stage at once....

Yeah, I've never seen a Mexican "Chile Japones" that was much less than 2" long, usually the ones I see here in the Mexican Groceries are 2-3" long. I remember reading either a travel or chef blog (or combination) that mentioned that "Japones" were basically any chile originally imported from Asia whether it be Japan, China, Korea, or Thailand, so in that case they could be any shape or size. But I also have to agree with Smokemaster that it seems as though there may be an actual landrace variety too. The Kitazawa seed catalog mentions that Yatsufusa is also called "Japones" in Mexico and/or SW U.S. and California. I've grown them(Yatsufusa) before, they grew upright in clusters and were 2-3" long and looked just like the ones from the Mexican grocery labeled "Japones" here in Indiana.

Mexico has A LOT of chiles though and many are not found/sold commercially, so that leaves things wide open......

Back