Mexicans, Cubans, Porta..oh heck anybody from south of USA

What peppers are common that are difficult or impossible to find fresh in the states that you miss? If you live south of the USA what are the common peppers for your area?

In my area, we have the generic orange habs, serranos, jalapeno's and so forth but when ive talked to a couple of Mexican immigrants they tell me there are common peppers from where they are from but I have not been able to get names of said peppers. Im kinda hoping there are enough people on here with knowledge of peppers and cultures that can tell me what is popular down south. I know there has to be plenty of regional peppers that really are not mass produced here or imported. I can imagine orlando having plenty of cuban peppers and so forth...so what are they?

i just wish i knew how to make morita peppers like my grandma in jalisco... but i can get any old mexican pepper at any local grocery store... maybe because our town is mostly mexicans...

another reason i started growing manzano peppers from seeds i got from mexico...

The area I live in is a majority Mexican but for some reason even the little Mexican shops dont carry much. So far Ive asked three Mexicans and they describe a small less than a dime round shaped pepper thats yellow and red that they remember. Any ideas?

Cayenne pepper
Pequin pepper
Jalapeno pepper
Serrano pepper
Habenero Pepper
Bell pepper
Tabasco Pepper
Pasilla Bajo pepper
Pablano Pepper
Cascabella Pepper
Chipotle pepper
Chile de Arbol

Thanks don and lucky. That gets me started, Ill ask around and see if the people around here want these. I do know that these are common so Ill stay away from them
Jalapeno pepper
Serrano pepper
Habenero Pepper
Bell pepper
But damn, thats a great list.

I live three miles from Mexico, so I understand Mexican. Grew up near Miami, familiar with Cubans......but the only 'portas' I am familiar with is the portapotty.

Right?

Dude, unless I missed it, puertorriquenos (I hate trying to find the nyeh on the PC) don't eat anything with any substantial kick. Maybe I missed it last time I was there. Mofongo, beef, pork, etc.

Ah...I miss the PR. I'm ready to go back. This time spend more time on the west side of the island.

edit: Rich, I'm not from Mexico, but I'd miss the occasional tepin/chiltepin run if I moved away from their native range.

Hold down "alt" and type "n" then release "alt" and type another "n." That's how it works on a Mac, and those key combos are almost always the same on both platforms...

Never been to Puerto Rico, but I need to...

Sorry, I just tried, too...can't make it work in Windows, either. :banghead: Cut, copy, paste, save...all that stuff is the same on Mac and Windows, so I just figured....

One of my favorite Hobie Cat sailors, Enrique "the Streakin' Rican" Figueroa, is from there. I also have an old college buddy who came from Fajardo, PR...We used to go sailing back in the day....

It seems to be way breezier and definitely more tropical than NW Louisiana! The food looks really good, too, if not very spicy...

Sorry, I just tried, too...can't make it work in Windows, either. :banghead: Cut, copy, paste, save...all that stuff is the same on Mac and Windows, so I just figured....

One of my favorite Hobie Cat sailors, Enrique "the Streakin' Rican" Figueroa, is from there. I also have an old college buddy who came from Fajardo, PR...We used to go sailing back in the day....

It seems to be way breezier and definitely more tropical than NW Louisiana! The food looks really good, too, if not very spicy...

Fajardo! Can't ever forget that place! We puddle jumped from there to Vieques after staying Ceibo with a couple of ex-pats overlooking Fajardo the night before. Fajardo is also the first (but not last) place I saw horses (mounted) going the opposite flow of traffic in the middle of town. We had been in SJ, so it was a bit of a shock.

If you're ever in the mood for an adrenaline rush, I also highly recommend driving a rental car in SJ. I've driven all over the Western Hemisphere and SJ is probably the scariest place I've had to handle. Insanely fun!

to make an ñ... you press and hold down Alt and type in 164 on the number pad... then you release Alt and TADA!!!... jalapeño...

¿qué?...

If you have a Mac or an iPad, just hold down the ñ, ë, ā, ó, ì, ć, ł, š, ÿ, keys for 2 seconds, and options pop up.

I like any chili peppers, sorry to jack your thread....

Ok, back on topic......

Back