• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Meyer Lemons

I'm going to try and grow some from seed. They are one of the only citrus that does grow true to seed. They say it takes 4-5 years to fruit. I already have one thats been fruiting for 5 years that was grafted but I'm going to grown these to give away to friends and family. 

Actually there are quite a few citrus varieties that grow true from seed, like oranges for instance...

I bought a plant from Rona (Meyer), had lots of flowers, but the grasshoppers almost wiped out the plant.
Finally got two nice size ones and ate them this month raw :) couldn't believe how sweet /soar they were and the skins were soft velvet.

Meyer lemons are some of the easiest citrus plants to grow in my experience but I don't really like the fruit... the flesh/juice is ok if it's not too ripe but the zest has a really bad aroma, nothing like a real lemon...

Actually there are quite a few citrus varieties that grow true from seed, like oranges for instance...
I wonder if navel oranges do. From what I understand, they're all propagated by cuttings, originally taken from the "parent navel orange tree" in Riverside, CA (I used to pass by it daily). Never tried to plant any seeds.

I think navel oranges are seedless... then you have no other choice of course 🙂
And to get a tree that fruits fast it is better to have a grafted tree, otherwise you'll probably have to wait 10 years or so for the first fruits to appear.
Also, orange trees seem to suffer from root rot when they grow on their own roots so they are usually grafted...

Last edited:
Meyer's Lemon grown from seed. It's only been a few years now, so no lemons yet.

Cheers!

IMG_0021.JPG

Well, its been kind of rough overwintering the plant, so cant really detect any scent as of yet.

Cheers!
I suck at overwintering so bad that I made my lemon “tree” an indoor plant!😂 But try rubbing a leaf between your fingers…I’ll bet it has amazing fragrance!😉 Your Lemon is a real beauty!

That's the thing with meyers... they're not true lemons and don't have the lemon fragance in their leaves or zest...

Back