microbatch

was wondering if anyone here has used original juan's in kanss city for microbatch? or know of any other companies that provide this service? thanks guys!

not sure what you mean by "copack".. original juan's service includes 2 test batches, then they hook you up with bottles, caps, a labeler, upc code, a food scientist for nution label, and business lisence to sell the product, then after the initial order, they will produce and bottle as much or as little as you want and drop ship it to you. i was just wondering if anyone has used them or a similiar company..as i would love to get at least one sauce out in the public sector

sounds like Juan's is what's considered a co-packer. It's your recipe but they do the processing (packing), they have the health permits, deal with the labeling and nutrition stuff...
it sounds like Juan's covers everything for you. All you have to do is show up with a recipe.

One HUGE tip for you if you are considering using this option for a recipe you have.....get an accurate scale and practice your small recipe at least a DOZEN times, recording EVERY ingredient by the micro-ounce or gram until you get exactly the same results every time! You can get an accurate scale for about $150, which will more than pay for itself if you do decide to use a copacker.

It will save you a TON of money, headache, and time, to be able to walk into the co-packer and hand them a recipe in grams that they can do a test run on and it will have minimal tweaking.

If you use "handfuls" or level teaspoons or "rounded" teaspoons....it's a minute difference on a small scale, but scaled up.........you need to know EXACTLY how much "xxx"....not a spoon and a dash....... If the recipe calls for 1 Tbsp of garlic but you always fudge a little extra, you need to know EXACTLY how much extra that fudge is. The co-packer will not know to "fudge" the garlic and your recipe will not taste the same, and the you will be looking at multiple test runs to get the recipe you are looking for.

good Luck, Dreamy~

thanks for the tips..i believe they require all ingredints in grams anyway, tho that can be hard for liquids, bleh. but they ask you to bring down not only a recipe, but the ingredients to make the first ultra small bath that your recipe makes, so they can check your weights and product specs. my old chef is using them for his bbq sauce.. i'm trying to get him on here, so maybe he can document his dealings with them, which will be great for anyone else in teh area that may like to do this...price isn't tooooo bad.. for a stated $2300 you get a 5 gal test batch, you like that you go on to a 168 gal batch that they will bottle for you and you can have it all...after that you choose bottle and cap, and if you don't like their selection, they have other providers...then on to the labers..that's another charge, as you buy the dies..prolly another $200-300. next is food scientist to determine your nutrion label. then upc code and business license so you can sell it. from there, you just order as much or as little and they ship it to you, you find your own way to market it and sell it.

WHOA, NELLY! I mean ....DREAMY!

$2300 for a test batch?!?!?

(don't spell it out specifically, but)....What is your recipe basics?

Have you made batches of this for friends/family/enemies?

You could start your own operation using an existing kitchen in some other building in your neighborhood or shared-use/community kitchen for $2300!

don't put the cart before the horse.

And depending on the market you are going in to, you don't need UPC or nutritional labeling. Some "markets" require both, but it's not something that is REQUIRED to market. And don't forget your state & federal business licenses and product insurance.

Back